Kebonnix 12-egg Incubator Thread

I keep humidity around 50% for first 18 days. If I fill slowly to keep water at the midline in the trough, I usually can go a couple days without adding it. Vent knob is at halfway point. At day 17, I remove turner (I like to let them get in position a day early since mine usually start pips on day 20), and day 18 put into lockdown, opening vent all the way and slowly adding water until it goes into the second tray (you can see through the plastic if you check carefully.) Humidity jumped to about 65 until they started hatching. Just make sure you put the grate cover back over the water when you remove the turner.

This has been a great thread! Right now I have 12 eggs in. Originally I had 2 clear eggs and one very early quitter, so I moved 3 double-stacked eggs from the 360 into the open spaces so Kebonnix is full. Candling last night, all of them look great!
A lot of this won't apply to other people's situations - but use what you think is best, and discard the rest. I'm still learning! I have a Kebonnixs incubator, bur also a bigger one from Incubator Warehouse. I use the same methods with both:

Egg selection & storage:
First, I'm rather picky about which eggs I choose. I only set eggs that my hens have laid, so I don't have to deal with shipping damage nor delays. I look for smooth shells with no imperfections, good egg shape, clean (I do NOT wash them), and weight between 65-70 grams. I store them in foam egg cartons on my kitchen counter for no more than 4-5 days prior to incubation. (I have included eggs which were under refrigeration for a day or two, and they all hatched with no issues. I let them naturally warm to room temperature before setting.)

Incubator setup & placement:
I've added a liner of rubbery shelf liner to the base, to help prevent spraddle leg and assist turning - trimmed back a bit so the turner doesn't snag it, and held in place with a few bits of double-sided tape. The incubator is placed in a room where there is little change in air temperature or humidity, and out of direct sunlight. I run it for at least 24 hours before setting eggs, to stabilize temperature and humidity. I've also used layers of paper towels, torn in scraps to fit, then soaked them with water so they'll flatten out and mat together, and left alone to dry for a few days. This way, they don't roll up or snag.

Temperature and humidity, vent, egg position:
I use a graphite pencil to mark eggs with their starting weight and number them, and I place them with the small end towards the center of the unit. I maintain 99.3-100.1-deg-F temperature throughout the hatch. I seek humidity of 35-48% for the first 18 days, then bump it up to 70-80% for the last 3 days. I keep the vent fully open, unless humidity is lower and I need to bump it up - and then I only close it halfway until stabilized, then I open it fully again.

Candling:
I candle usually at Days 5, 11, and 18. I hold eggs over a soft, fluffy scrap of blanket while candling to prevent damage if I happen to drop one. While the incubator lid is off for candling, I place a kitchen towel over the eggs to maintain temperature and try to get through the process as quickly as possible, but not rushed - to prevent damage or mistakes.

Maintenance and monitoring:
I test the turner once every day, and I clean dander from the fan surface with a toothbrush. I monitor temperature and humidity 2-3 times a day and add warm water as needed. I've had backup thermometer/hygrometers in the unit, but cannot seem to get readings that agree with each other or the unit's own gauge. So I finally just put them away and keep my fingers crossed that the unit's gauge is close enough.

Logsheet:
I keep a log on each batch - recording starting weight, candling weights, target hatch weight (13% loss from the date of set), date and time of external pip, date and time of hatch, and any issues noted during the incubation and hatching process. I don't mark air cells (takes too much time), unless there is a saddled cell or one that's abnormally large or small. Then I watch those air cells carefully. I also watch the weight loss to be sure it's still on target for the approximate date of candling. I use a digital kitchen scale, and record weights in grams, not ounces. The logsheet helps me learn about what works and what doesn't, and when to assist.

Logging pip times & assisting:
I log the date and time of each external pip, so that I can keep track of the number of hours of progress. This requires me to open the incubator several times over the next 2-3 days, as I'm also looking for any pips on the bottom of eggs. If they pip on the bottom, I turn them so the pip is facing UP to prevent drowning in their own fluid. I often assist in hatching if the chick has gone 18+ hours with no progress, the blood vessels have dried up, AND signs of shrink-wrapping are starting. I work very slowly with an assist, sometimes taking a few hours. I try to let the chick do most of the work.
Thank you both. So much information here that you can only find through experience. I think these two posts will be invaluable for anyone who buys this incubator!

I’ve read the manual and tried to find the answer online, but I’ve had no luck. Does the lid for the Kebonnix lock? I can line up the grooves, but it will open right up. I’m afraid I’m not getting a good seal. This is my first attempt at hatching. Thanks for any help!

I’ve read the manual and tried to find the answer online, but I’ve had no luck. Does the lid for the Kebonnix lock? I can line up the grooves, but it will open right up. I’m afraid I’m not getting a good seal. This is my first attempt at hatching. Thanks for any help!
It doesn’t lock. If you turn the lid a little it might click into place better, but it won’t ever lock completely. I’ve used 4 different brands of incubators, and never had a locking one.

The lid merely sits in the grooves, but it will "lock" into place in the right position so that you can't easily rotate it right or left. There are four notches in the edge of the lid. There are four tiny tabs on the rim of the base. Align the lid so that the tabs catch into the notches:
CYlg3QuZeol4kSE1IIJwBHotwC6HJLOI7oy5IdaqNltMMBwtuwtisD1BkapKlfFCB6dAKoI7C81dDAWiecoWNgXY-aF0dN7nsD6ouSdDaLqz_6QTYRBGehX2Ou2sJuUi6ymaeaXgxqVCMVA6kJ60MJSxTjN87YjrMzKs0CIUh6U1uasCMzfa-l8LrxM4YJYi7_kIpPD1Frlg4pUAbJCg51DKGPAQ8Pg6f5W5eezbejmtr79N7SrlWBXiWKWoKf70WFiIUzybe3N_R_2ZU65w-_29e-vv4sY8Rc71pKc7VAZDvNZj66lU2xUjEA6X8u53zOdpZWkY6oFTUrGnNRpSXybnG_NXiuVRxJTK6dFbV-PZvJD8zDPzw0Ivjht8Tzq78AC7tHXaBcnR2UX3x_-ukU5BtlCc1UBu3OB9rBE2YGL5NKbL1fhTuW0kbJOUaO1s68ie-5LC25LThTDZAH60NPqYiQSqRYfk9w2-s4HNciGkNvheiJqUxqfDK-Q_D0r0nalqYSwwG5N55qx8rutGqftALIj6X4AXETxo57GrxrZ7NF4aaIIOROKSbPzzzw6zVb53cjtzTbp8AGOqb5qKtw6MEbnzsp3MOmvhV7A6u4VRWI0mQkdHiXTgnVGb_XECwNKdTJsHmYB3-SnyNP5Mj4mq8rFclR_RK-6CxFduHoYNxtTmAdi1IBv65FfQCWhAbU_1cMaV21eqheos29I-6aSIsQlwSLDzc3O-OvLWwn_k_rZrc_AZjfG3-6roLY7NPmJm0faCMhYdMR3lWGlLUZqClffenhbjOT7w1tTKbSu9odHkVb3OkEikHl_UGX_yn9fP0VONDTPjstPaAraIC_s3nvy8DaaH-HW4oA25z5yqjCTU7BOb4tOivj724EONKLdyqSfTCT4q7Ak6CsaRXyOzMT_9n-RvpzRIFj9CKeiM_42e=w1133-h990-s-no

It doesnt lock, but the top has a tiny notch, that engages with a little socket, behind the center of my water filler. When you feel this click in, you know that lid is securely sealed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HxMpcMWYToZXdUzw8

Hi everyone, I already own an NR360, but impulsively purchased the Kebonnix 12-egg incubator today! I couldn’t justify paying the increased $190 price for the 360, and saw some good comments about this incubator.

One of the reasons I thought using the 360 was so easy as a new hatcher was the big info thread that is stickied here.

I am hoping any of you that have a Kebonnix will join this thread, and share your tips & tricks, along with help to answer questions. I’ll be trying mine out this weekend, and will add any questions or important info that comes up during the hatch to this thread!

I’m also going to take some picture of the inside and outside with & without eggs for reference. If anyone has a manual and wants to attach it in this thread, please do!

I hatched with a Kebonnixs last year, it was my first hatch and I tried to keep the humidity around 30 to 40%. About half my eggs hatched and they were all male! The others seemed to have a hard time hatching. I tried to keep the humidity very high at hatching.
Any advice for us this next time around? I want to put some eggs in to hatch in a few days. I was thinking of setting the temperature lower and maybe making the humidity higher. I would really like to get some hens this year. lol

They do not lock. there is a little notch, turn the dome until the tab fits into the dome. That is all.

I hatched with a Kebonnixs last year, it was my first hatch and I tried to keep the humidity around 30 to 40%. About half my eggs hatched and they were all male! The others seemed to have a hard time hatching. I tried to keep the humidity very high at hatching.
Any advice for us this next time around? I want to put some eggs in to hatch in a few days. I was thinking of setting the temperature lower and maybe making the humidity higher. I would really like to get some hens this year. lol
It’s all luck of the draw! What time of year was it? I have heard there are more pullets born in the spring and cockerels in the summer heat. But nothing you specifically did would cause only males to hatch!

Wouldn't we all? :) (Like to get some hens)

I've read that it's not the incubation temperature that affects the ratio of hens/roos, but rather the storage temperature before incubation. Storage of eggs at 40-deg-F will result in more pullets hatching, but only because more of the cockerels don't survive to hatch. But this source (below) says the difference is minor - only 54.6% pullets on average. So....hmmm....

Concerning gender, I thought this was very explanatory:
"In chickens, sex is determined by Z and W chromosomes, in place of the Xs and Ys responsible for sex determination in the mammalian genome, including humans. In mammals, it’s the father (XY) that decides the sex of each offspring, the mother (XX) only ever able to contribute one of her two X chromosomes. In chickens, it’s the reverse. Males possess two Z chromosomes, whereas females have one of each sex chromosome, denoted as ZW. And so, it’s the hen’s contribution that determines the gender of chicks, not the rooster’s."
https://onceuponachicken.com/how-to-hatch-more-hens-than-roosters/#:~:text=In chickens, sex is determined by Z and,two X chromosomes. In chickens, it’s the reverse.

Well, at any rate, I hear what you're saying. My first hatch this year (simultaneously in a Kebonnixs and an IncuView incubator) resulted in 18 cockerels and 8 pullets. The second hatch is closer to 60/40%, but still more boys. I can't tell with the third hatch yet. My freezer will be stuffed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom