keeping chickens cool in summer heat

Pics
Dear Realsis,

I live in Lahore, Pakistan. Temperature in summer goes upto 122 F. We normally use evaporative coolers.Locally these coolers are called desert coolers or lahori coolers.
Here is a Pic from side.

These are easy to build and install. e use wood shavings in place of swamp pads. you can also use a cheap aquarium pump for water circulation.
I know one thing for sure that chickens stop panting even at 120 F with this cooler on. You just have to make sure that cooler is not in direct sunlight and there should be a good circulation of air. means
Air coming in = Air going out.

This really helps. It can reduce the temperature from 120 F to 100 ± 2 F.
I have 30 X 30 X 36 Inch cooler with 20 inch fan.

Rehan

I was reading all these great posts & saw the receipe for "Chickie Gatorade" ... what is that all albout?

I have a wading pool in my coop, the chickens share with the ducks we have. They drink from it, they perch on the sides of it...and it is not too deep for them!

I use kiddie pools too!!

Dear Realsis,

I live in Lahore, Pakistan. Temperature in summer goes upto 122 F. We normally use evaporative coolers.Locally these coolers are called desert coolers or lahori coolers.
Here is a Pic from side.

These are easy to build and install. e use wood shavings in place of swamp pads. you can also use a cheap aquarium pump for water circulation.
I know one thing for sure that chickens stop panting even at 120 F with this cooler on. You just have to make sure that cooler is not in direct sunlight and there should be a good circulation of air. means
Air coming in = Air going out.

This really helps. It can reduce the temperature from 120 F to 100 ± 2 F.
I have 30 X 30 X 36 Inch cooler with 20 inch fan.

Rehan
celebrate.gif
I love this idea.I would appreciate it if you could give some general brake downs on how you put it together and how it works.I know some about it but nothing like what you do.Just some simple directions to get me going if you don't mind.I can see where that would be a big help when it gets hot.Thank You for your time
thumbsup.gif

Hey Bruce,
Just a couple questions. What kind of fan and mister did you install and is it on a timer? We need something easy and affordable since we are on a tight budget. Also, as asked above, what does asprin do for the girls when you put it in the water? Do you have any other suggestions for keeping the ladies cool in the Vegas summer? Any suggestions would be fantastic. If nothing else, it is nice to talk to a fellow Las Vegas chicken lover :)

~Sin City Chicks~
I just got the $25 system at Sam's Club. The fan is just a cheap little fan from walmart that I drilled to the ceiling of the run.

I was reading all these great posts & saw the receipe for "Chickie Gatorade" ... what is that all albout?
"Chickie Gatorade" is a vitamin and electrolyte supplement. You mix it in their water and it restores the vitamins/electrolytes that they lost in the heat.(You can use it for other animals too, not just chickens) You can get it at the feed store for a few bucks. Im not sure what the recipe is but that's the general idea.

Back
Top Bottom