Our laying ladies suddenly stopped laying

meganmtea

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
I was wondering if anyone knew reasons why our two laying hens would suddenly stop laying. It has been hot (low/mid 90's everyday) so I'm wondering if that may affect things? They seem healthy otherwise. We also realized one of our chickens was a rooster in the past couple of weeks so there have probably been some power shifts/light stress. We've been able to keep them cool with regularly changing out their water, lots of shade, and lots of cold treats, so I don't think they're overheating but it seemed to be such a coincidence that they stopped laying in the dead of summer (we got them as chicks last summer, so this is their first summer outside). Any ideas or advice to get the girls laying again? Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone knew reasons why our two laying hens would suddenly stop laying. It has been hot (low/mid 90's everyday) so I'm wondering if that may affect things? They seem healthy otherwise. We also realized one of our chickens was a rooster in the past couple of weeks so there have probably been some power shifts/light stress. We've been able to keep them cool with regularly changing out their water, lots of shade, and lots of cold treats, so I don't think they're overheating but it seemed to be such a coincidence that they stopped laying in the dead of summer (we got them as chicks last summer, so this is their first summer outside). Any ideas or advice to get the girls laying again? Thanks!
I came to ask the very same thing! I live in Northern CA, and it's been cold and foggy most days, so my only guess is reduced light. Mine are also chicks from last summer.

There is really no set time for molt, last year I had a couple ladies molt in August then return to laying for a few months before stopping for the winter.
yea im glad i found this out or else i wouldve totally panicked lol, my first year having backyard and im learning a lot!

Back
Top Bottom