Keeping Chickens cool

These are the things that I do:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3785837
Oh thank you!
I live in Florida, so we get humid heat from March to September. October is when we start to cool down a little. May to July are usually really bad months, and sometimes we get warnings not to be outside. That is mainly my concern with my chickens since they are the fluffy type, so I can only imagine how bad it is for them.

Welcome to BYC!! You’ve already been given some wonderful advice, but I wanted to add one helpful thing we do in the summertime.

We spray everything down in the morning with the hose or let the sprinkler run for an hour or so. And by everything I mean the grass, the trees, the sidewalk - basically anywhere the chickens will be. It creates an evaporative cooling effect. We do this again in the afternoon and let the hose run for a while to give them a cool stream to walk in for a bit. In the evening I end up spraying the coop down really really well with the hose. I’ve found these actions help the most to keep them cool in the summer!
Thank you!
Those seem really smart! I am starting to think that I might have overthought the situation and could have just done some simple things as solutions lol. I will try to do this when it is hot days.
Thank you again.

Thank you!
Those seem really smart! I am starting to think that I might have overthought the situation and could have just done some simple things as solutions lol. I will try to do this when it is hot days.
Thank you again.
You’re welcome! I overthink it, too. Even though I feel like I already know what to do to help them stay cool, I still get the urge to ask what others do every summer. It can be such a challenge but there are some pretty creative people out there, it’s nice to see new ideas! You’ll find advice for everything here! Good luck with your flock!

Oh thank you!
I live in Florida, so we get humid heat from March to September. October is when we start to cool down a little. May to July are usually really bad months, and sometimes we get warnings not to be outside. That is mainly my concern with my chickens since they are the fluffy type, so I can only imagine how bad it is for them.
The swamp cooler and misting system would be useless during those times. What do people on the Florida thread do? Portable AC units??

It is a basic coop that fits my two (originally 3) buff opingtonsxlight Brahams. The new coop will be bigger (cause of chicken math), but I thought insulation wouldn't be a good cause of the heat. I might see about partially insulating it then. Is there a type of insulation you recommend?
Insulation isn't just about heat, it's about cooling too. This is what I use: I also live in Florida and Hawaii where cross breeze is my best tool
insulation.PNG

Hi there and Bienvenue to BYC,
When it gets over 28c here this is what we do …
1. Large low dishes (we use old seed trays) of cold water with ice and then throw in some treats. They get gobbled up along with the cold water 👍
2. Water melon, lots of it straight from the fridge. 👍
3. Garden misters. We often find a gaggle of hens and our cats under them when it’s hot. 👍
4. Ice packs. I have those bell shaped ones and put an ice pack inside to keep the water cool 👍
5. The pouallier is built on a concrete slab which we hose down with cold water every night before they go to bed. (Only around the pouallier of course) It helps keep the area cold. 👍
6. We already have a lot of shade as we have a small wood so they go there and dig lots of holes which helps cool them I think.👍
7. We also have a large shallow tray (unused oil change tray) again filled with cold water and an ice pack. If someone is looking too warm I put them in it to cool their feet. None of my girls enter it voluntarily.👍
Forgot to say that the shallow trays are under the misters so if they want treats they have to get under them.👍
Together it makes life easier for them,
Hope this helps
Hugz

Last edited:
Oh, that is creative! I had a carrot in my fridge that had been in really cold water for a few days, and I broke chunks off for them, and they seemed to love it. I will for sure try this when the really hot season happens.
Thank you for the idea!
No problem! I hope your girls like it as much as mine do!

Back
Top Bottom