Poll Time: Cool the Coop & Chickens

What do you do/use to help keep things cool?

• Total voters
Pics
View attachment 3536705
It's that time of year here in my area....hot time.

How do you help keep your coop and birds cool for the summer time heat?
Vote in the poll above. If you want an option added just say so and I will add it.

Some ideas:

How to Keep Chickens Cool in the Summer

A Guide to Keeping Chickens Cool in the Summer Source Summer can be a difficult time for keeping chickens, who come with their own year-round down coat. Prolonged high temperatures can cause...

I know that rock and sand can be cooling so I set up a sand box for my chickens. I used course sand on top of pavers. I used a long piece of cut wood to keep it all in.

Attachments

• PXL_20230628_130519706.jpg
    PXL_20230628_130519706.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230628_131717393.jpg
    PXL_20230628_131717393.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230628_131646592.jpg
    PXL_20230628_131646592.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 7
Is there a similar fear when bringing chickens inside on a hot day? It got up to 95 degrees here today but feels like 105. Some of our hens started panting, so I set them up in the garage. However, I did wonder if moving them from the 95-degree heat to our 72-degree house would be too big of a temp change? The garage is warmer than that, so not concerned about their current situation—just curious!

Chickens don't like change. The stress of moving them could be worse than the stress of the heat.

Make sure that they have access to dirt in the shade -- where they can dig down to a cool layer.

I am using the misto brand outdoor fan and a canvas cover to make a chicken yurt. I added some of the silver insulation around the bottom area. It’s amazing how much cooler the air is in there and how it builds up over time to be sometimes nearly 30 degrees cooler than outside.

It's winter here at 20 degrees celcius, but in the summer I put shade over the loose dirt for dust baths and frozen water bottles in the duck pond. On the hottest days I put ice in the chickens' water, but it doesn't make much of a difference since chickens don't drink much. I find dust baths are the best because of the humidity in Queensland.

Y'all try not to laugh too hard at my redneck ac for the girls. Cinder blocks, wetted down, ice blocks tucked in the holes. Girls sit next to or on top of the cinder block; they're angled so whatever breeze happens blows through the holes. I've added another cinder since this pic.
View attachment 3556140
Only a nitwit would poke fun at your ingenuity 😁 Good thinkin' !

Y'all try not to laugh too hard at my redneck ac for the girls. Cinder blocks, wetted down, ice blocks tucked in the holes. Girls sit next to or on top of the cinder block; they're angled so whatever breeze happens blows through the holes. I've added another cinder since this pic.
View attachment 3556140
Of all my tests, chickens seem to love standing on the wet stones the most to cool down. A+ tips here

Back
Top Bottom