Sponsored Post Keeping Dogs and Chickens - Tips for a Harmonious Introduction.

We did pretty much what the article said... We also used the Omlet temporary fence... We were able to have half of our yard for the dogs to be out and the other half for the birds to free range. This allowed everyone to be out together and become acclimated. Our new greyhound has done great! I think having a house chicken helped too....

So adorable!!!! Though I must admit I first thought "why are they posting a picture of a deer???" :lol:

We have a year old black lab, Bailey. She loves our chickens. The chickens were probably 2-3 months when we got her. I am not sure if she thinks she is a chicken or what. She doesn't understand why they don't want to play with her and she tries to trade them with her bnes. The chickens will be out digging around in the leaves and she digs with them. It is pretty cute. Our rooster doesn't ever get upset by her either.

Awesome article!! Thank you. I think I can work with my greyhound-boxer mix Dixie. Hopefully she won't try to attack them!
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f632.png
1f61d.png
She's a bit on the iffy and secretive side,so,I'm hoping that this article will help her to protect them instead of go on point(try to hunt them!)
1f61d.png
1f632.png
1f609.png
1f414.png
1f436.png
1f44d.png
Here is a pic of Dixie-

Great article.
I have three dogs and none of them seem to mind the chickens at all, although one female likes to sort of 'herd' the hens at times. The hens may feel pestered, but they never seem to feel threatened. They do flap around and get noisy when the dogs tear past or through them as one dog chases another.
The dogs also do love to 'clean up' after the hens and that is really gross.
Anyway, here are Merlin and Emma, at different times, moving around the girls.

Great article. I have three dogs and none of them seem to mind the chickens at all, although one female likes to sort of 'herd' the hens at times. The hens may feel pestered, but they never seem to feel threatened. They do flap around and get noisy when the dogs tear past or through them as one dog chases another. The dogs also do love to 'clean up' after the hens and that is really gross. Anyway, here are Merlin and Emma, at different times, moving around the girls.
I wish that my dogs were like that. I really am going to try to work with Dixie, but there is no chance with Macho. You are very lucky to have good farm dogs!!
1f64c.png
1f64c.png
1f44d.png
1f61d.png
1f609.png
This is Macho-

Good article. Thanks! We are slowly introducing our 8 and 9-yr old Standard Poodle and Lab to our new chickens, allowing the dogs free access to the chickens while cooped. Letting the chickens free range in the yard while the dogs are in the house. Looking forward to the time when we can all be in the yard together. Shouldn't take too long. Our dogs are very well trained and docile. :)

Back
Top Bottom