Sponsored Post Keeping Dogs and Chickens - Tips for a Harmonious Introduction.

Yeah, my dog hates when he can't reach us or if he's inside and we're not. He gets so upset. I bet that is what is going on. That is awesome your dogs were bale to be trained
smile.png
I hope he gets his freedom soon too but it sounds to me like they are just keeping him tied up and just expecting him to automatically know how to behave (i got that from when one day chicks were on the other dog and they let him loose) rather than actively working with him to help him behave and in that case he may never get free
sad.png

My two dogs are the same. They need to be near me all the time. And I treat them like Princeses lol

It broke my heart to tie them up during their chicken training. I hated it as much as they did, but they are smart and worked out pretty quickly what I expected from them around the chookies. They will never have to be tied up again thank god!

My two dogs are the same.  They need to be near me all the time.  And I treat them like Princeses lol

It broke my heart to tie them up during their chicken training.  I hated it as much as they did, but they are smart and worked out pretty quickly what I expected from them around the chookies.  They will never have to be tied up again thank god!

Aww yeah, ours has to be tied up when he's outside because he runs away but fortunately he's not really "tied up" per se, we hook him up to a really long rope, one in front and we have another in back, so he can wander around a good bit of the yard and it's notit's not tight or anything but I always feel bad cause sometimes he wraps it around his leg or bushed hahah

Hopefully we can get our yard fenced in soon.

So far he's been inside when the chickens go out but he was really calm next to their pen yesterday so hopefully soon

Good article. My doberman pinscher is living proof that dogs can be just fine with chickens, even if they aren't at first. My dog couldn't handle my first batch of chicks - couldn't go anywhere near them. Then when they were close to full size, she decided they were ok (after lots of exposure to them on a leash with me at the other end). Now she'll be out in the back yard, and then hens will walk right under her. I just got a new bath of chicks, and this photo says it all:

This is so nice to read! I have two Chessies who are definitely from hunting lines. Luckily they are AMAZING dogs, so "training" (aka negotiating with) them is pretty easy once they understand the relationship.

Last edited:
Great thread. Missy my pitbull loves them. But my Frenchie. All she wants to do is chase them I am definitely working on her as my chicks free range and she has to stay in the house while they are out plus she is a baby herself

Yesterday my dog, Pearl, refused to mind me when a delivery truck came in the yard. I was in the brooder shed and not near the kennel. I have a fenced area near the shed.

I locked the dogs in to "teach", well remind actually, them to listen. The dogs sat by the gate and looked sad. It appears Bert Jr wanted to comfort them.

Bert is a "toad" he is a 3/4 Cornish Cross and 1/4 Dixie Rainbow. So he is a BIG guy. He was actually sitting by them outside the fence looking in and visiting with the dogs, but when I came out and went for my IPhone he got up and walked around.

Back
Top Bottom