Sponsored Post Keeping Dogs and Chickens - Tips for a Harmonious Introduction.

:lau  Nah  your dog will not bite you... or shouldn't.  I train mine to not bite as a pup. Everytime the pup nips like they do yell  "yipe" like another pup will if it gets bit.  It teaches them to not bite....

And if my own dog ever bit me.........Well we would be at the 3 S's as far as the kids are concerned...

Yelping didn't really work for ours but we'd tell him "no bites" or leave the room which worked better for us. But he still does sometimes mouth and play bite which my dad does nothing to stop :/ he doesn't do it if you tell him no or ignore him and pretend he's not there but he pets him.

And yeah, he used to growl or bite over stuff but hes not possessive of bones anymore and I realized that while the behavior obviously is never acceptable, half the time he got mad was only when the leash was wrapped aroumd his leg and someone pulled it hard, i think he has a leg problem. But he used to attempt to bite or at least vocally protest or freeze up if you tried to get him to do something (he snaps the air) but that was as an adolescent, he has since grown up and no longer does that.

He responds really well to nothing in life is free, aka making him sit before he does anything, same thing, and positive reinforcement because he's a sensitive dog and really intelligent but he does have his stubborn moments and my brother is pretty rough on him sometimes, using a really deep voice for every single thing, sometimes straight up yelling. Works for control, which i guess is the goal, but for the finer stuff like staying out of the room when we eat or tricks, it doesn't. But I've had to start using it for recall because he won't listen to anything else now. I used to use a firm voice which worked but now nothing but the deep, gruff, scary voice works for "come." But different ways work for different people I suppose and at least he's controlled and mostly respectful now. But the problem I think comes fromfrom the inconsistencies and the different methods everyone uses. I might use a different method than my brother but the goal is still the same: getting him to listen and have rules. I think his problem is less dominance, more never had rules. My dad for example breaks every rule I try to set. Has zero rules for him. And even my brother who is strictly alpha is inconsistent. One second he's play biting or jumps up and it's cute and he hugs him, next second he is SCREAMING at him for doing it... which I think is unfair no matter the method used. Sure, dogs don't do fair, but they all will let him do one thing then complain when he does it next. No rules. Cause he's "cute" and the rules are "mean" according to my dad. And I don't even ask for tough stuff here. No feeding from the table. Ignoring him when he is being mouthy and a brat. He doesn't do it to me but my dad pets him and lets him out when he does that so he will go up and mouth him and snap the air and back up and make noises (all just sass) and dad lets him out. He used to do it when he wanted to go out but I thought it should never be encouraged. But now he'll go "but he wants to go out" and I KNOW he doesn't. He wants attention and he wants to play and my dad is oblivious and encourages it. And also like sitting before he gives him food if he's gonna do it. Just basic stuff really. All of which is "mean."..... :/

But anyway, sorry for rambling. What I was saying was if you buy the dominance stuff and have an extremely large or particular dominant dog like a GSD or something else, isn't it possible they would resist your attempts to dominate or take it as aggression and bite?

Last edited:
We did pretty much what the article said... We also used the Omlet temporary fence... We were able to have half of our yard for the dogs to be out and the other half for the birds to free range. This allowed everyone to be out together and become acclimated. Our new greyhound has done great! I think having a house chicken helped too....
I see you and others let your chickens inside the house. Do they not poop all over the floor? I've never known chickens to have bowel control. In fact I don't really pick them up unless I just hold them in the crook of my arm with the back side clear of me and my clothing.

I see you and others let your chickens inside the house. Do they not poop all over the floor? I've never known chickens to have bowel control. In fact I don't really pick them up unless I just hold them in the crook of my arm with the back side clear of me and my clothing.

That's the good thing about having dog tolerant chickens, they can eat the poop no matter where it falls, saves on cleaning costs too!

My GS and House Roo Carmel. Basic training stay and leave it.

Last edited:

Only one hen was in the house- my ducks chewed a bunch of her feathers off so she had a bunch of bare spots during the winter. So I kept her inside for her safety. She is also super submissive so she keeps letting them attack her. I bought her a diaper to wear so she could hang out with us- she was much happier to be with us than be alone in her cage. As for chickens pooping on you, I've never had them do it while holding them...if they hop on your lap, maybe they would. And yes, my dogs love chicken poop. Ugh.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips on introducing dogs to chicks when they are very small. I have a German Shepherd and also a smaller Australian Shepherd Saint Bernard Mix.

I was thinking that we could maybe have the dogs around the chicks from the day that we get them, so that they are exposed to each other from the beginning,
please let me know if you think that this would work. And also if you have any other ideas about what could work too.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips on introducing dogs to chicks when they are very small. I have a German Shepherd and also a smaller Australian Shepherd Saint Bernard Mix.

I was thinking that we could maybe have the dogs around the chicks from the day that we get them, so that they are exposed to each other from the beginning,
please let me know if you think that this would work. And also if you have any other ideas about what could work too.

I had my chicks since they were a day-old in their brooder in my living room. I used a rabbit/guinea pig cage as their brooder. I had bricks on top so it couldn't be accidentally knocked off, and the heat lamp clipped so it couldn't be knocked off either- but my dog isn't the type to get into stuff. But because the chicks grew up with us, and our dogs, until they were about 9 weeks old, I think it greatly helped acclimate everyone to each other. I think having your dog seeing you interact with the chicks makes them realize that they are not toys or prey. I also would let them out to bop around on the floor to stretch their wings as they got bigger while we were waiting for our coop to be built, and my dog would be laying right there watching. But some dog breeds are highly predatory so I think everyone's experiences can be different.

I would start by letting your dog check out and sniff a chick that you are holding directly in your hands. Anything more than a happy lick should be met with a bop on the nose. Make sure you "claim" the chicks as your own to show that they are not to be messed with. If the dogs see the chicks every day they will soon lose interest and accept the birds as part of their pack. Keep an eye out when they are first loose together though, you want to make sure a prey instinct doesn't take over when the birds start flapping around.

Do you have access to an old baby bed? I used our old one to make what my husband calls the "Chicken Jail." LOL I was putting our babies in it outside while I was out there with them. We reworked Saturday night and they have spent the last two nights out in it. Our dogs can see the babies but not get to them. Doing this our oldest dog has lost all interest in them. Our smallest dog is still a little interested but not as much. The youngest dog is the one I'm going to have to watch the most, but I've been warned that it is also because of her breed.

I would start by letting your dog check out and sniff a chick that you are holding directly in your hands.  Anything more than a happy lick should be met with a bop on the nose.  Make sure you "claim" the chicks as your own to show that they are not to be messed with.  If the dogs see the chicks every day they will soon lose interest and accept the birds as part of their pack.  Keep an eye out when they are first loose together though, you want to make sure a prey instinct doesn't take over when the birds start flapping around.

I'd go with a firm but gentle verbal "NO" or "ah ah", a light tap on the back or side, and/or reward (praise, treats, toys, "good", whatever) for ignoring the chicks and being nice, before I just start bopping them on the nose for no reason.. don't want the dogs to be scared of the chicks. Well, maybe some people do, but I don't. Especially if they haven't yet been taught how to properly behave around the chicks and don't know why you're hitting them. Yes hitting. IMO even if corrections are used in training there's really no reason to touch their nose, even lightly.

Back
Top Bottom