Keeping Fish

Poor John Doe is dying T_T Many factors lead me to believe that it's of old age... The rest of my stock is doing okay. I'm glad all these fish gave me a great experience, but sadly I'll have to restock for breeding in the near future. Only 2 of my bettas are breeding quality, and the rest have a chance for the start of a line(I might have a hard time selling first gen.). It'll take a few gens. after them to have quality outcomes, not that I won't love the first spawn as much as the last. Should I humanely euthanize him? He's showing Monroe's last-day symptoms and probably is quite old; you never know with pet store fish
sad.png

Good luck with that! They aren't very long-lived creatures... Now why can't your son take the fish with him? Hopefully not enough time to feed and clean with all the studying he'll be doing... Where's he going for college?

Regards,
Leaf

Bettas can live a long time. Mine live years. My longest was 6 yrs. I have had a random death here or there, but mine average 3-5yrs I'd say. All petstore males, except my HMPK male bred by my club member.

I keep mine in 2.5-10g tanks with filters.

I think Monroe and John Doe were old, they both started out with a white film over them(I can't see it unless they turn at certain angles). Then their head swells(scales rise) and they are less active. Their last day or 2 is when their fins clamp like a thread and they die. I assume it's not anything else because I don't know their age, it happened to no other bettas in the same tank, and it happened the same way for them both.

I think Monroe and John Doe were old, they both started out with a white film over them(I can't see it unless they turn at certain angles). Then their head swells(scales rise) and they are less active. Their last day or 2 is when their fins clamp like a thread and they die. I assume it's not anything else because I don't know their age, it happened to no other bettas in the same tank, and it happened the same way for them both.
Pine coning or Dropsy can happen for various reasons. I typically do a large water change if I see any issues. At least they got to swim in a tank and not pass away in a cup.

I read that if there is only pineconing on the head, it's a bacterial infection... how contagious are bacterial infections? Or is that even accurate?

Back
Top Bottom