KEFIR - who makes it, drinks it, and/or feeds it to their chickens?

Something I've learned on my own is to put the cold milk from the refrigerator into the microwave just long enough to barely warm it. Then add the kefir seeds and some of the "just finished" kefir milk. It works much faster doing that.

Last edited:
I'd like to have a little Jersey cow or three goats, but Anne's too lazy to milk them.

I don't drink very much milk or want to HAVE to milk morning and evening, so I plan on leaving the kids on them. And when the kids get older I'll just lock them away from mom for awhile to get MY milk

Quote:
Health and nutrition

Kefir has antimutagenic and antioxidant properties, as shown in two different model systems.[4]

One can change the nutrient content by simply fermenting for shorter or longer periods. Both stages have different health benefits. For instance, kefir over-ripened (which increases the sour taste) significantly increases folic acid content.[5] The title of one study (funded by Lifeway Foods) claims that kefir also aids in lactose digestion as a catalyst.[6] However, the study only shows that there is simply a lower amount of lactose in kefir than in whole milk. The lactose still had an effect on the lactose-intolerant adults involved in the study. The kefiran in kefir has been shown to suppress an increase in blood pressure and reduce serum cholesterol levels in rats.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Last edited:
Quote:
Health and nutrition

Kefir has antimutagenic and antioxidant properties, as shown in two different model systems.[4]

One can change the nutrient content by simply fermenting for shorter or longer periods. Both stages have different health benefits. For instance, kefir over-ripened (which increases the sour taste) significantly increases folic acid content.[5] The title of one study (funded by Lifeway Foods) claims that kefir also aids in lactose digestion as a catalyst.[6] However, the study only shows that there is simply a lower amount of lactose in kefir than in whole milk. The lactose still had an effect on the lactose-intolerant adults involved in the study. The kefiran in kefir has been shown to suppress an increase in blood pressure and reduce serum cholesterol levels in rats.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Thanks a bunch for the info.

OK question how long will the keifer stay good in the refrigerator after you make a batch! It appears to be a continueing process and you have to hibernate the grains if you want to stop for a while. how much do you make at a time and do you just comsume it at a normal rate like mild or juice and what about amounts to the chickens! I found a site that joe had a link to on another forum that had the you tube videos and am going to try it!

Im also going to try the kombucha tea which I also want to know can you use Herbal teas such as Roibus or should you use only black or green teas

Ernie

Quote:
Ernie, for kombucha (pronounced come boo cha cha) you use only black tea bags, no flavor. We buy Tetley British Blend Premium Black Tea in a purple 80 pound tea bag box; it's not very much.

Personally, I'm going to be making a quart or half-gallon at a time daily. Anne and I will drink about one glass each, maybe more. I'll let all the remainder accumulate until I have enough to give to the chickens, maybe twice a week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom