Kentucky people

A KY category! fun =o)

I am in central KY, having started with chickens last year when TSC had some chicks and we were all going aawwww. A good excuse to get started with something I wanted to do anyway. Well, you know how it is with the chicken math.. I figured 6 hens would give me plenty of eggs, so I got 12 since it was straight run. A couple hens adopted us, turns out they are american game hens, got several stars in feb and then the hatching began. Whoops, lotsa fun. And we got an incubator, and boy that is addicting. We just built a bigger and even bigger coop to house the collection I've got - we are planning on selling eggs and chicks come spring.

I am currently trying to find non-GMO feed, scratch really. Organic would be lovely, but not required, and soy free. Louisville has a place with some organic scratch type feed, but it does have the soybeans. A place 2hrs southwest of me has an organic feed that is ground. I would very much love to find LOCAL feed - wheat/milo/sunflower/oat/corn. I need to grow my own
wink.png

I have young bantham cochins running around with my 2 year old full sized chickens with no problems. The bully has been my guinea who got locked up for a few days for bad behavior. I was very amused to see one of my young little chickens sitting under one of the Red Star hens. She didn't seem to mind, but it was totally foreign to her.

Guineas are usually jerks, especially the males. cthrash1 has had lone female guineas in her chicken flocks that got along well though.

After 10 months of living in harmony I finally had to separate Mr. Big Mouth from the other Serama roosters. One of them had him cornered and had his comb bleeding.
sad.png
Since Mr. B-M is the best looking Serama I have, I had to move him. So him and a lady of choice are now hanging out with the roller pigeons. The only thing I can see 'wrong' with that situation is the abundant supply of bird seed (the pigeons are picky and waste quite a bit of it) and the resulting development of some chunky Seramas!
lol.png

Mr. Big Mouth:
LittleBig-mouth.jpg

And the bully
somad.gif
:
DSC00804.jpg

Quote:
Hi there! I am in Lexington, so right in your area. I am down to 11 chickens, almost all egglayers now.

Hi! I live in Lexington too. I have 22 large fowl, 4 silkies, and 4 bantams. I live near the Nicholasville Rd. Walmart. My husband works at Toyota, so we're hoping to buy a farm in Scott county sometime in the next couple of years.

So good to hear there are more chicken people in Lexington! I am too. I have a Brahma hen and Cochin pullet (both bantams) and my Brahma just hatched out 3 bantam Orpingtons, but that's pushing it since I live in a townhouse. (25?! 22 LF?! Wow!) I got the eggs from a BYC member. Are you part of CLUCK? It's a group of Lexington folks who have chickens and connected on Facebook.

Thanks again Braclin for the chicks. It was very nice meeting you, doing business, and chatting chickens with you. We're very happy with the chicks, the boy has been playing with them since we got them. I think they're his now.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks again
John and Alice

Quote:
Where in Central Ky are you? I'm right outside of Etown. You've got 3 of us from the same area as me on here. Are you close if so I think our feed mil (Hardin Co Feed Mill) carry's all of those.

Quote:
South of Etown. Yeah, the Hardin Co Mill has wheat/corn/oats but I didn't think they would be non-gmo, though I actually never asked about the wheat and oats. That is where I'm currently getting it. I know somebody growing 13 acres of corn that I am hoping to get some of. I was hoping maybe somebody knew somebody who was growing it =o)

Whimsy Wrote:
Jen4 wrote:

Hey guys... What time is the flea market goin on in Leitchfield? I'm thinkin about riding over there to see whats it all about.

Just came back from there...not too many chickens today lots of ducks. We try to get there about 7:30 Hardin Co time.​

Thanks. I didnt end up goin, my honey is on vacation this week & we got busy with outside projects but I will make it there one of these Wednesdays. How do mixed chicks sell there. I really need to check it out for when I have extra roosters/chicks/ maybe hens/pullets to sell. I actually have 30 3 week old mixed chicks right now that a girl & her friend where suppose to buy from me... well for the past 2 Sundays shes tell me shes coming & never shows, so I'm done doing business with her. Now I have all these cute lil chickies to play with & 5 guinea keets
roll.png
The longer they are here, the more I just wanna keep em, lol​

Back
Top Bottom