Kentucky people

Quote:
Hi! I live in Lexington too. I have 22 large fowl, 4 silkies, and 4 bantams. I live near the Nicholasville Rd. Walmart. My husband works at Toyota, so we're hoping to buy a farm in Scott county sometime in the next couple of years.

Hey!
DH and I both work at Toyota and live in Scott Co. Hope to have you as a neighbor sometime soon!
Colby

Cool! What part of Toyota do you all work in? My DH works nights in plastics. He loves plastics but I hate night shift!!!

Elinor's chicks :

Quote:
Hi! I live in Lexington too. I have 22 large fowl, 4 silkies, and 4 bantams. I live near the Nicholasville Rd. Walmart. My husband works at Toyota, so we're hoping to buy a farm in Scott county sometime in the next couple of years.

So good to hear there are more chicken people in Lexington! I am too. I have a Brahma hen and Cochin pullet (both bantams) and my Brahma just hatched out 3 bantam Orpingtons, but that's pushing it since I live in a townhouse. (25?! 22 LF?! Wow!) I got the eggs from a BYC member. Are you part of CLUCK? It's a group of Lexington folks who have chickens and connected on Facebook.​

Yeah I kind of got carried away with chicks, I built an incubator and it went downhill from there. I wish I had less but I can't part with them, haha.

I joined Cluck on Facebook. They are arranging organic feed for whoever was looking! I can't afford it because my flock eats 50 pounds a week...

Another lexington peep here! They are having a talk at the Tates Creek library tomorrow on "backyard chickens" I just found out about it yesterday and I'm going. Kinda cool because if you look the right way you can see our house from the library. The chickens too. That is, if a critter doesn't have a midnight dinner tonight. I am still working on the coop. It is taking WEEKS to get it finished. Juggling coop building with an 8 month old with severe Mommyitis is not the most productive thing in the world
smile.png

I'm going to join CLUCK on db too. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
So good to hear there are more chicken people in Lexington! I am too. I have a Brahma hen and Cochin pullet (both bantams) and my Brahma just hatched out 3 bantam Orpingtons, but that's pushing it since I live in a townhouse. (25?! 22 LF?! Wow!) I got the eggs from a BYC member. Are you part of CLUCK? It's a group of Lexington folks who have chickens and connected on Facebook.

Yeah I kind of got carried away with chicks, I built an incubator and it went downhill from there. I wish I had less but I can't part with them, haha.

I joined Cluck on Facebook. They are arranging organic feed for whoever was looking! I can't afford it because my flock eats 50 pounds a week...

Only 50?? What's your secret?
lau.gif
I've been getting at least 250# a week for the past few months...I'm going to be in trouble when winter comes
hide.gif

Quote:

lau.gif
I've been getting at least 250# a week for the past few months...I'm going to be in trouble when winter comes
hide.gif

smile.png
hay Shelley, Do you know of any chicken etc swaps coming up soon~not the Scottsville one, it is 2 1/2 hours from me ! And I only have 2 Easter Egger Roos & some Blue Orp eggs to sell, so need to find one closer to Central KY. I have to get rid of the roos I don't have any room for my young chicks, that need to go outside now.
tongue.png

My Winter feed bill is also high due to ponies,cows, burros, goats,chickens,dogs & cats.
roll.png

Quote:
smile.png
I'm only a little over one hour from Paris, and yes I cannot go tomorrow~wishing I could~that is a resonable distance~a friend also has 2 young Blue Orpington roos to take & we thought we could go as a team
big_smile.png
Thanks !
cool.png

Quote:
lau.gif
hide.gif

smile.png
hay Shelley, Do you know of any chicken etc swaps coming up soon~not the Scottsville one, it is 2 1/2 hours from me ! And I only have 2 Easter Egger Roos & some Blue Orp eggs to sell, so need to find one closer to Central KY. I have to get rid of the roos I don't have any room for my young chicks, that need to go outside now.
tongue.png

My Winter feed bill is also high due to ponies,cows, burros, goats,chickens,dogs & cats.
roll.png

Someone at Sano last week told me that roosters sell very well at the Shepherdsville swap. I'm not sure when that is but they said you have to get there very early...as in 'be ready to sell when the sun comes up'. I don't know if it's accurate, but he said that the LF roos sell for at least $10 each there, some he said sell for $16-$18. I guess there's a large Asian population that buys them up but you have to be early.

ETA: My feed bill is high now from all the freaking ducks. I'm sure that's what it is. Currently I have 13 adults and 12 babies, those ducks sure can put the feed away! Plus I've got 11 geese aside from those, they are pretty good at putting it away too
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png
tongue.png

roll.png

Someone at Sano last week told me that roosters sell very well at the Shepherdsville swap. I'm not sure when that is but they said you have to get there very early...as in 'be ready to sell when the sun comes up'. I don't know if it's accurate, but he said that the LF roos sell for at least $10 each there, some he said sell for $16-$18. I guess there's a large Asian population that buys them up but you have to be early.

ETA: My feed bill is high now from all the freaking ducks. I'm sure that's what it is. Currently I have 13 adults and 12 babies, those ducks sure can put the feed away! Plus I've got 11 geese aside from those, they are pretty good at putting it away too
tongue.png

smile.png
Geeeeessssseeee with the GEESE & DUCKS ! I went to a Shepherdsville Swap about 2 yrs ago & could not get $15 for 2 Roos from the Asians,they only would pay about $2 each & mine were LF Cuckoo Marans that I had pd $8 each as chicks. I later sold mine to breeders. I did have luck selling eating eggs which pd my swap Fee. However, I know someone I can phone about those Swaps, before I go there again. THANKS for the Info !
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom