Kentucky people

Affordable town!
I am in Louisville but really went to get out of the city and own at least a couple of acres...would prefer more like 5 though! I can only afford up to about 175000 for a home. If possible, I'd like to be close enough to Louisville or Lexington for work. From my search so far, my dream is not an option for me. I have no ability no repair a home, FYI. Not looking for a fancy house but also not a fixer upper.
Anyone know of somewhere?

Can anyone clarify the ordinance in Lexington/Fayette county?

I’ve had Silkie hens in our backyard for a 2yrs now; my neighbors don’t mind. They love them actually, but this past Spring we had a few chicks hatch.
My plan was to rehome any possible Roos, but ya know how it goes with Silkies, you can’t really tell boys from girls for quite some time.

We ended up with 1-cockerel. He was able to be determined at around 6-mos and we were already so in love with him and his sweet nature, so we kept him.

— This sparked me to read up on our ordinances again; I can’t really find anything that says we can NOT have a rooster.

Is this what everyone else has determined as well in the Lexington area??

Thank you! 🙏🏼
~ Johnna ;)

I live in Frankfort (outside the city limits) but the city ordenits first paragraph says no crowing chickens. On down in another paragraph is no breeding. I would think most are about the same with not allowing roosters.

I live in Frankfort (outside the city limits) but the city ordenits first paragraph says no crowing chickens. On down in another paragraph is no breeding. I would think most are about the same with not allowing roosters.
Frankfort has different ordinances than Lexington/Fayette county. Ours is just worded so weirdly. I’ll see if I can copy and paste here.

And, honestly. My hens are louder than my Roo! LOL!😉

I realize Lexington is different than Frankfort.
My point was your not going to find the permission your seeking that will allow you to keep a rooster within any city limits.

That’s not true, I’ve read several ordinances that allow for 1 rooster

I found this news clip; this is what I’m saying. Our ordinances don’t state things clearly. It only speaks of “Chickens”, not anything towards a gender specifically.
It doesn’t state that you can’t have a Rooster. — But there is always a Noise Ordinance in effect as well, for any animal such as a barking dog or a crowing rooster; they would both definitely fit in that category.

I just find it very interesting that my Hens are louder than my little bantam Roo!! I swear they want everyone to know exactly when they lay their eggs.. I’m happy as long as my neighbors are happy! They do love the eggs 🍳

Click below to see the video clip from the Lexington News 🗞️

~> Click here <~

Attachments

• IMG_0244.png
    IMG_0244.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello, all, Donna from Adairville, KY (close to Russellville) here. I have Ameracaunas and Black Copper Marans. I would love to connect with folks nearby who might like to sell some chicks or be willing to let me tour their coops. I am operating in a bit of a vacuum, with no one close by I know well enough to see how they are doing things. I love my coop and run, and feel like I set things up as best as I know how to. But I would love to see how folks near me are dealing with the COLD and snow coming this week. This will be my first winter with my fluffy-butted babies.

Hi Donna. You can search the message boards for tons of ideas on winterizing. I personally put up polycarbonate panels around my run and have a cozy coop warmer. With the negative Temps expected this week I've added a heat lamp to the run also. Sounds like overkill but I have leghorns that are not built for the cold.

Back
Top Bottom