Kentucky people

Welcome coffee lover! I like the smell but not the taste. Well actually the after taste.
This is an excellent site. Very helpful and supportive. Protect your birds. Here in Kentucky everything wants to make them lunch. Hawks will kill chickens at your feet from November to March. I almost got my hands on one once. Saved a chick tho.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.
While I do like my coffee (I was really confused on just exactly HOW you knew that) ...my horse is named Joe, hence the moniker ILoveJoe.
big_smile.png

We are working on turning our tack sheds into chicken coops, part of it will have chicken wire overhead so Hoss and the girls will be safe from hawks while I am at work and until hubby comes home and puts them to bed.

The more I read about chickens and ALL those that prey on them I have gotten a bit paranoid. Everybody is out to get my chickens!
wink.png

Welcome!!!! Finally someone from my neck of the woods.
Sounds like you are going to have a fun bunch of girls and fun to look at!
If you have any problems fell free to see if I can help or just chat about our birds.
I have exhibition bantam cochins/Blue Laced Red Wyandottes/Copper Marans/.
My Grandson has the Americanas.
Karen

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Welcome!!!! Finally someone from my neck of the woods.
Sounds like you are going to have a fun bunch of girls and fun to look at!
If you have any problems fell free to see if I can help or just chat about our birds.
I have exhibition bantam cochins/Blue Laced Red Wyandottes/Copper Marans/.
My Grandson has the Americanas.
Karen

That sounds great, Thank you.

Where do you exhibit your birds? Is it possible to get exhibition worthy birds from a hatchery or do you breed them for that purpose?

What are the benefits of exhibiting? Is this like for 4-h?
WHew deep breath.
tongue.png

Hey everyone - I live in the middle of Louisville (about 5 min. from downtown) and should be getting five baby chicks next week!!! Metro Gov. allows 5 hens/1 rooster on lots under a 1/2 acre. Several people in my neighborhood have chickens - you'd be really surprised. I think we should start a Metro Urban Chicken movement!!!

Hi You All! Living here near Bethlehem KY in Henry County. Been reading the Forum and learning. Got 51, 3 wk olds mix brown egg layers and Banties. Six, 5 mo old RIR, and four 3 mo old Sebrights. Grand kids don't want to leave...they're having too much fun at the farm. Jean

I've been on BYC for awhile now and the nearest BYC folk i've found have been over 3hrs away..........is there anyone close to Ahland KY at all???????

Thanks, KC

Checking in from Louisville here. We don't have any chicks yet, but I can hardly wait! Trying to gather things to build a coop and decide on what kinds I want. I want them for eggs (and companionship lol!) but think the kids might want to show someday if it's something they enjoy.

This forum is so addictive!

I do have a question, how late is too late here in Kentucky to hatch out chicks and not have to worry excessively about them being too young for the fall weather? How old do they have to be to be outside with minimal temperature protection?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to learning from all of you!

Lisa
DH, DD 8 and DS 7

Last edited:
Welcome Ourblessednest.
I hatched out some chicks last November, but I kept them in the house with me for about 8 weeks taking them outside for about an hour each morning and evening.
At one week I took them out and watched them. When they started to huddle up I would take them back inside. By three weeks they would stay out for the full play time, weather permiting.
At 8 weeks, I put them in the chicken coop with a 60 watt bulb on the galvanized water can. Plus some older hens as well. They were picked on for a week or so then they all huddled real tight during the coldest months without any harm.
Watch them very closely. Hawks have learned where I live and have tried taking chicks from my yard with me within 6 feet of the chicks. A friend of mine told me that one of her friends had a chick killed at her feet by a hawk. When they get hungry they get very bold. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom