Kentucky people

Quote:
Me too !!! Me too!!! LOL although I haven't heard anyone hollering "Cristian, Get over here", yet, LOL. I don't go to Sano that often, though, LOL.

I just started in banties, I would LOVE to see yours (I'll show ya mine <g>.) I got most of my banties at Sano, I got some beautiful bbred oegb, and a pair of red pyle, and a spangled the guy threw in for free. I got a few others, too, from other places.

Hubby said he is getting me an incubator for Christmas - I told him he is just enabling me, LOL he laughed and said that is why he does it, because he likes to spoil me (you should see the coops he has built for me!!) <g>.

I am out by Breeding, which direction from Columbia are you ? and would ya like to meet at the coffee shop sometime and talk chicken?? (I am so geeked, I've found a couple of people near me lately who are on here - it's a small world after all, I guess, LOL my full pardons to Disney for stealing their line.)

Btw - I'm in the market for more banties - hubby just built me another new coop, so I got room for easily 20 more. Do you have any for sale? maybe some of those chicks yer hatching? what type of banties do you have? I really love the oegb, they are my favorites.

Woohoo!! Chicken Neighbors !!!!

Peace -
Meriah

Quote:
LOL I got more roos than I know what to do with - most of the extras free range and basically get spoiled more than the other chickens, because they follow me around the yard all day. They come to the front porch twice a day and crow for treats. They've taught the guineas to come along for treats, too.

I actually have a spare bantam cochin roo who lives with the spitzhaubens and a very strange SL Wyandotte pullet who is in love with the bantam cochin roo, LOL. I tried to put her in with the other chickens, she didn't want to - she looked depressed and would stand by the fence to be near "her" fluffy roo all day - and he seems to fancy her quite well, too, LOL.

But thanks for the offer <g>.

ETA - I was so excited because technically, I am from Columbia, too - at least that's what my address says <g>.

Peace -
Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe I have introduced myself here yet so Hello,
frow.gif
, It's nice to see KY folk here. My name is Melinda I live in Elizabethtown, with my DH and our 15 year old son on a hillside " in progress " farm. I have ( so far ) 13 chooks, 2- EE, 2-RIR, 3 PBR, 1-BO, 1-NHR, 1-PWR, 1-Blk.Astr., Oh and 2- Japanese white silkies-they are so sweet. I purchased my silkies at the milton swap meet that was posted on here, I love my silkies, and come to find out the lady that sold them to me only lives 10 miles away,
clap.gif
, I want to let my silkie hen hatch some of her eggs this spring I can't wait. I want to post some pics soon of my coop,and chooks so be watchin' for me.

CHIKNMAMA wrote - "I actually have a spare bantam cochin roo who lives with the spitzhaubens and a very strange SL Wyandotte pullet who is in love with the bantam cochin roo, LOL. I tried to put her in with the other chickens, she didn't want to - she looked depressed and would stand by the fence to be near "her" fluffy roo all day - and he seems to fancy her quite well, too, LOL. "

Hope the Wyandotte will share the little man with your Cochin pullet I got for him or she'll be a lonely lady
wink.png
. DH made me move the cages outside under the leanto because the OEG roo was crowing all day and it bugged him...He just doesn't get it
roll.png
. Since being moved out there the roo has only crowed in the morning a bunch. Let me know when your ready to pick up your babies...If it's out of the way from the parts store we can meet halfway. Otherwise plan on visitng a while and we'll cookout for lunch or something.

Quote:
I don't think she'll mind the newcomer - she is so timid she drives me nuts sometimes, LOL. The spitz's, Hoss and Her all get along really well, though - even though I had planned on having the spitz's by themselves, I don't plan to breed anytime soon on them, anyway - they aren'told enough yet.

I am thinking next week at the earliest. I have a doc appt tomorrow, and we are busy this week. We got the woodstove in, finally, and I moved the freezer to my sewing room, so I had to totally re-do the kitchen/dining room. Hubby was busy today putting outside lights on the new coop - LOL I got porch lights. He got a couple of lantern type porch lights for the main coop - he has to seal that one, though, it is very dry (the wood is) so he'll put those lights in tomorrow evening after it has had some time to dry out from the sealer.

LOL My coops just keep getting more and more pimped out - I love it <g>.

Just asked hubby and he needs an oil sending unit and some light bulbs from the dealer, so probably next week, I'll PM ya with a day. We go to Barlow's - it is just inside the city limits coming from Columbia. PM me with directions to your house, and don't plan on lunch, LOL hubby don't get going until too late, we'd probably be there around 1:30-ish . I'll have him call tomorrow and see if any of the items need to be ordered or not. If they have them in stock, then maybe we can go sooner.

Peace -
Meriah
:::clapping hands... new chickens, woohoo!!!::::

Hi,

Wanted to say hello from Kentucky as well. I live in Wilmore, not far from Lexington. I've had chickens for years now. Every spring I go a bit crazy and order a bunch of new chicks, but as they free-range all over our small farm, the coyote, fox, hawks, & raccoons get them some times. The smarter ones learn to roost inside the barn, and they do well. I just can't bring myself to lock them up all the time, as most of the joy of having them is watching them roam all over the place, socializing and finding bugs. They work great with grain eating livestock, who spill about half their meals while eating. Right now, my most favorite bird(s) is the guinea family. We have a mated pair, and an "Uncle". All three adults take care of the 8 keets. I think they are quite a bit smarter than the chickens, as they alarm when a predator is lurking, making the keets "take cover" and the adults fly off a distance to attract harm away from the babies. Also, they are great at eating weed seeds, maybe less weeds next year? Or could be I just have not-so-smart chickens. Anyone know of any day-old Marans for sale that could be shipped? It seems all the hatcheries are sold out, I'm not too sure about paying so much for hatching eggs when I'm not that great a hatcher:)

Quote:
There is a lady who is a dairy goat "queen" that lives in Harrodsburg. Is that too far? I could get her name and number for you? She milks everyday with severe artheritis, says it keeps her hands supple and working. She has a really cool goat stand with a hand winch. Goat steps on, she winches it up to her size and milks away. Her daughter is a traveling vet in Mercer county, meaing she vets out of her Truck, coming to your farm. I wish they were just a bit closer to me. She is an expert on goat care. I do know it is important to get a calm nanny goat, or you always spill the milk. I only have 4 Boer females. Good luck.

LotzaHenz

Quote:
OMG!!! There are sooooooo many goats that go through there, it would be a surprise if there weren't any dairy!! I don't usually stay that long (just want the chickies lol!), but I will probably go there this Friday, and could check how much they go for if you like?

Quote:
Me too !!! Me too!!! LOL although I haven't heard anyone hollering "Cristian, Get over here", yet, LOL. I don't go to Sano that often, though, LOL.

I just started in banties, I would LOVE to see yours (I'll show ya mine <g>.) I got most of my banties at Sano, I got some beautiful bbred oegb, and a pair of red pyle, and a spangled the guy threw in for free. I got a few others, too, from other places.

Hubby said he is getting me an incubator for Christmas - I told him he is just enabling me, LOL he laughed and said that is why he does it, because he likes to spoil me (you should see the coops he has built for me!!) <g>.

I am out by Breeding, which direction from Columbia are you ? and would ya like to meet at the coffee shop sometime and talk chicken?? (I am so geeked, I've found a couple of people near me lately who are on here - it's a small world after all, I guess, LOL my full pardons to Disney for stealing their line.)

Btw - I'm in the market for more banties - hubby just built me another new coop, so I got room for easily 20 more. Do you have any for sale? maybe some of those chicks yer hatching? what type of banties do you have? I really love the oegb, they are my favorites.

Woohoo!! Chicken Neighbors !!!!

Peace -
Meriah

Well, Unfortunately most of my babies are mixed. I have way to many oegb red pyle mixed cockerels (8) that need to go bye bye
sad.png
, have my 2 favs picked out. I think those are the only oegb's I have. My roo is a Blue Splash Dutch, so most of the little ones hatching are some shade of blue. I have 4 splash chicks atm, as well as idk how many that are dutch/araucana mixes, some blue&red, some look black & red. Also have some that are dutch(obviously, he's my only roo lol) and i was told egyptian (?), that are very cute but hard to describe. Also have some dutch/cochin mixes (supposed to be bantam cochin, but mama is pretty big?), that are probably gonna be blues as well. Gosh, so many!! I have some BTW Jap babies, that I got at the sale recently, only really want one pair, and a friend wants one of the little roos, but I have 11 total 4 roos and 7 pullets. Also have 6 baby white silkies, that I got for a friend that decided they didn't want.
I am not sure where Breeding is? I live off of Little Cake Rd, which is out 206 towards Pellyton (sp?), but I would LOVE to get to know more people that are as obsessed as I am about my feathered friends!!

Quote:
OMG!! I have too many already!!! Thank goodness they're young still, have only had 2 bloody combs so far. Thank God for free range!!! Sorry about your hens
sad.png
My German shephard pup used to like to chase my chickies. I thought it was just play, until I got some young enough for her to catch. She killed 2 before I figured out what was going on, She is tied up now
sad.png
. Free range dog with free range chicks...not a good mix!
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom