Kentucky people

Thanks so much for the help with directions for me to ask around!
smile.png

I will be down there this coming week as the horse hauler is delivering our horse at a stables and than we will do some house shopping, so I will make some calls.

Quote:
Harrodsburg has a mill. They mix their own chicken feed. I think cynthiana use to have one. I have no idea if they still do? We go to Casey co. I like their mill.

Good luck!

Whats the name of the mill in Casey co?

Quote:
Harrodsburg has a mill. They mix their own chicken feed. I think cynthiana use to have one. I have no idea if they still do? We go to Casey co. I like their mill.

Good luck!

Goldenrod feeds liberty, ky

It's out in the county past sunny valley. It's a really sweet Amish boy that runs it most of the time.

What product lines are available in your local mills for poultry & gamebird feed? Finding out the product lines I am used to are not available in your area, I like feeds that are small in crumble size. We have a scratch feed made by Prince that the cracked corn in it is as small as a gamebird crumble, and I prefer to feed my silkies small crumbles. I find a lot of the chick starter crumbles on some product lines are really made for a standard size chick, the layer crumbles I don't worry to much about because its older stock. Thanks again all of you for your help & advise.

Quote:
I know that Tractor Supply carries Dumor brand starter crumbles for pheasant, chukar, etc. It's a different ratio than regular chick starter.
Brumfield Hay and Grain in Lexington carries Purina game bird starter chow (I did a purina search online for carryers). They've been around FOREVER. My mother used them for her feed over 35 years ago when she used to stadium jump. You're actually pretty lucky to come into thoroughbred racing community. There are probably more feed mills and carriers than other states and areas because of the horse farms and beef industry here.
A last thought. Cracked corn for cattle is more powdery and smaller than say, the cracked corn at TSC. It has some of the consistency of semolina or corn meal. Wasteful to an adult chicken but maybe good for you? I had bought some from Hallway feeds last year when a co worker bought feed for his boer goats.

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed with the feed from harrodsburg quite honestly. That's why we began going to goldenrod feeds. They can give you exactly what's in their feed. The crumble we are currently using has cracked corn in it. I love the mixed scratch we get from them, again with corn, wheat and grains. Our birds come running whenever we open the door hoping for some snacks. I prefer their pellets because I feel we lose less but we have that mixed with crumble for winter. Our birds also free range.

Good luck in your hunt.

Quote:

Goldenrod feeds liberty, ky

It's out in the county past sunny valley. It's a really sweet Amish boy that runs it most of the time.

There are 3 of them actually, all brothers. You're probably thinking of Earl, he's the one with glasses. Earl is the baby. Jonathan is the middle child and always has a smile on his face. Albert is the oldest, and while he's not rude or mean, he just doesn't seem as 'nice' as Earl and Jonathan.

Unless of course, you mean Gaylan, who is neither Amish nor related to Albert, Jonathan, or Earl. He's 17 and a real sweetie, but he doesn't work there anymore as of a week or so ago.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested

I will have an assortment of chicks hatching on the 9th. From these chicks you should get a verity of different colored eggs from white to chocolate brown. And hopefully start laying around May

I got 15 eggs in the incubator

1 Pumkin Hulsey game fowl,
2 Black Copper maran,
2 easter eggers,
1 lavender orpington,
2 buff orpingtons,
2 blue laced red wyandottes,
1 gold laced wyandottes,
1 welsummer,
2 silver spangled hamburg,
1 silver lakervelder.

They are 4.50 a chick. I am selling them as a lot so you must take all that hatches.
I am located in Campbellsville KY

Back
Top Bottom