Khaki, Dun, Platinum Sumatra

Soli

Songster
11 Years
Sep 18, 2010
I've looked at the thread on Sumatra in general and am curious about the genetics of Khaki, Dun, and Platinum in the breed. I know that those colors are not APA recognized, but are being developed by several breeders.

How do these colors relate (if they do) and are they dominant/recessive, etc? I am interested in continuing a Khaki/ Platinum line (Although wouldn't Khaki be better named "Champagne"?)

Far as I was always concerned, Khaki and Platinum Sumatras are the same thing. Gorgeous birds!

All of them are basically E/E extended black,

Black Sumatras also have i+/i+

Khaki Sumatras have I^d/I^d

Dun Sumatras have I^d/i+

Breeding them works the same as blue. Dun works like blue, Khaki works like splash.

Dun x Dun = Dun, Black, Khaki

Dun x Khaki = Dun, Khaki

Khaki x Khaki = Khaki

Last edited:
Platinums are het blue and het dun
Khaki are double dose dun
The colors are very similar, but khaki may be a bit more brownish/yellowish

Khaki are almost white on a black breasted red type chicken (not melanized).
Melanized chickens get the more typical color.

Great, you answered the basic genetic color questions I needed to know.

Now to find more dun/khaki sumatras...I heard the word platinum bandied around and wasn't sure if it was the same as khaki or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Here a pic of Platinum Blue that Mr. Henk is working on...
wink.png

Platinums are het blue and het dun
Khaki are double dose dun
The colors are very similar, but khaki may be a bit more brownish/yellowish

Khaki are almost white on a black breasted red type chicken (not melanized).
Melanized chickens get the more typical color.
Henk,
I now have 4 hens and 1 cock, large fowl Dun Sumatra's. Two hens are to arrive this week but I have the trio at my son's. He hatched a chick that looks white. What do I need to add to produce the khaki color that is a pale taupe color like you commented is brownish? I don't know the genetics of the black Sumatra's, would a cross out to a black hen be a good choice with my cock since he's the father to the white chick? What I am "really" hoping is that this isn't a recessive white chick.... I would not be really happy. Probably not likely, but considering another breed was used several generations back to bring the dun gene to the Sumatra breed so you never can tell right?

Back
Top Bottom