Kill a racoon? go to jail

I shoot rabbits for getting into my garden. I once beat an opossum to death in my coop. And I shoot deer because they are delicious. Point is all he did was kill a pest. And his manner of killing is considered humane to many. There are many people that use a 5 gal bucket of water to cull puppies. His thinking was prob along those lines. Bleeding heart folks kill me. If he'd drowned a snake nobody would have bat an eye.

I shoot rabbits for getting into my garden. I once beat an opossum to death in my coop. And I shoot deer because they are delicious. Point is all he did was kill a pest. And his manner of killing is considered humane to many. There are many people that use a 5 gal bucket of water to cull puppies. His thinking was prob along those lines. Bleeding heart folks kill me. If he'd drowned a snake nobody would have bat an eye.

and there is a method of trapping and killing mice/rats with a bucket of water they drown in, and I don't know that anyone would blink an eye at that either

After reading the article... Yes its was illegal.
As I understand the law, after reading "Florida firearms, lawful use and ownership" that was written by a gun lawyer. (Im not a lawyer, but ive read this book a few times to verify that im legal in EVERY WAY as I carry concealed at times.)

If he had shot the coon as it was attacking chickens then it would have been legal.
But when he drowned it after the fact, then his property was not in immediate danger.
He killed it out of revenge. FYI: I would have done the same, im not condemning.

My silencer cost me 600 bucks on silencer shop.com.
My .22 pistol that is silencer ready was 400 bucks.
I didn't buy it for this, BUT. For 1k, you can handle situations like this quietly.
Unlike large caliber pistols, a .22 can be so quiet that you can hear the action cycle.
1 thousand bucks, and you will never turn a eye. FOREVER. Seems like a investment to me if you have coon problems, and a nosy neighbor.

Thanks for the info. I try and maintain a similar level of knowledge of firearms laws for my residence in Indiana.

Question- Does "in the act" really apply to pest predators? I understand that it applies with humans as you are not allowed to shoot a fleeing criminal, for example.

If that really is the law there, then that sets up the exact situation where you have inhumane shootings of pest animals. Trying to save your own animals by shooting means that you can accidentally hit your own or only wound the pest. Such a restriction also gives you no way to permanently get rid of a raccoon that has broken into your home, creating damage and spreading disease.

I definitely see what you mean. I don’t condone killing in general (unless it’s hunting or self defense), but people always seem to care more when it “violates” a law against an animal that the state cares about. You are 100% right, that people could care less if it was a snake or something of the sort.

I'd bet that part of the law that this man is being prosecuted for prevents him from relocating that raccoon to the property of one of those that voted to make it illegal. I know that is true here. Too bad. Having to live with the consequences of your laws often makes you think differently about its value.

Thanks for the info. I try and maintain a similar level of knowledge of firearms laws for my residence in Indiana.

Question- Does "in the act" really apply to pest predators? I understand that it applies with humans as you are not allowed to shoot a fleeing criminal, for example.

If that really is the law there, then that sets up the exact situation where you have inhumane shootings of pest animals. Trying to save your own animals by shooting means that you can accidentally hit your own or only wound the pest. Such a restriction also gives you no way to permanently get rid of a raccoon that has broken into your home, creating damage and spreading disease.
The book does not mention pest predators, but it does mention wildlife attacking your dog. It says if something is attacking your dog and you shoot it then you are within your legal rights to protect your property.

But you cant go track down, or trap the dog and kill it after the fact.
--- I would do this, and I would justify it by saying im preventing further attacks. But I know it would be illegal.

Last edited:
I'd bet that part of the law that this man is being prosecuted for prevents him from relocating that raccoon to the property of one of those that voted to make it illegal. I know that is true here. Too bad. Having to live with the consequences of your laws often makes you think differently about its value.
I live in FL, and I asked some "wildlife sanctuarys" about relocating coons, and they said not just no but... HECK NO!
His options was to let it go, or kill it. At least that's what they basically said to me in Pensacola FL. (Obviously not in so many words)j.

Just my opinion but there's really no way to humanely kill something. The act of killing is inhumane in itself we just need to tell ourselves we're doing it in a humane way to be ok with it.
Don't get me wrong I've killed many many a creature in my life time.
When it goes quickly and efficiently then you could say it was humane. When it goes sideways sure looks anything but humane no matter the method.
I know many people that would say drowning is the most humane way. I used to trap when I was a kid. Drowning was standard practice. It was said to be humane. Truth was it wasn't so much because of that as it was because you didn't want holes or blood on your pelts.
I've also known of bucketing puppies. That was said to be humane but of course downing puppies isn't humane.
Agree with the other poster people who have almost drown would say it is a terrible thing but there's many people out there that have been shot in the head and lived. They'll tell you there's nothing humane about shooting something.
Look at how animals are slaughtered for market. Electricution, bolt guns even people here who slit chickens throats and let them bleed out. Shelter dogs that get injections. No matter how you end a life someone somewhere is gonna say it's done in a humane way while many others see nothing humane about it and have opinions of other ways they think would be humane.
Killing is killing, dead is dead. Nothing humane about that. When it has to be done just hope its as quick and painless as can be expected and live with that.

Back
Top Bottom