Killer Raccoons

Cipher12

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
I am at wits ins dealing with a very expensive encounter with many raccoons. Since First of May, I have lost 139 chickens and 34 ducks due to KILLER RACCOONS. I have shot a total of 14 raccoons since Mid May and thought I had the problem solved. Then in the last 2 days I lost 32 ducks. They were killed for sport by this coon. That's Right, Just one Big Raccoon has done this damage on the Ducks. Raccoons have cost me over $1000 in lost Chickens and Ducks.

You severely underestimate raccoons, sweets. They're crafty little buggers, you could have your birds enclosed within a concrete wall and they'd find a way to kill them. They're brutal, vicious, horrible beasts. I've never killed one just to have others "take over the territory". They're smart, they know where there's a threat and they avoid it. Since my husband killed that one, the whole family hasn't so much as looked at my porch since.
Not at all, Sweets, I fully understand and respect the intelligence and craftiness of raccoons - that does not negate the fact that OP has lost $1000 worth of birds, or that those losses can be reduced with reassessment of the structures Plenty of BYCers manage to build enclosures and keep raccoons (and other varmints) out. If one is losing over 100 birds it is time to evaluate your security.

Last edited:
Studies have shown that shooting predators like raccoon and coyotes can actually makes the problem worse. When you kill one, two or three more will take over the territory of the old one. I suggest making your coop or enclosure more secure. Aim for making it nearly bear-proof. Also, be sure to tightly secure feed in airtight containers and try to clean up excess feed on the ground.

In my experience (relatively limited), once any predator like a raccoon takes a duck, you need to take that predator out permanently. They aren't stupid, if they got a meal in a certain spot and it was as tasty and defenseless as a duck, they are going to come back every day or two until the meals are all consumed. I've tried tightening up security after a predator attack, and those **** raccoons are smart and persistent once they know there is food on the other side. Had one climb through two strands of very hot wire, and over a 8' tall very tight fence after discovering that the shocks weren't nearly as bad as the food was good.

I'll take my chances on the new ones moving in being naive enough to not brave the fences. I'll only kill the ones that visit my coop after I've lost a duck. I use live traps baited with tuna fish (I wire the tuna fish can right to the trip lever). I hate doing it, but once the raccoon is in the trap, the trap goes into the pond until the problem is solved. A gun would be quicker, but I don't have a firearm big enough to reliably dispatch a raccoon so the water is probably more humane.

What's LGD stand for

Livestock guardian dog.

There really is only one perfect breed for this and that's a great Pyrenees. However, many many people have found good results using other breeds. Just having a dog around keeps most critters away. I have never heard of a LGD actually engaging with a fox, coyote etc. Chase off, yes, fight no? My beagle has chased bears off my property.

We have no fence and we've had one encounter with a predator (a horrible little dog that killed our pekin Lemon Pepper). We have a bernese mountain dog/standard poodle mix, and after the attack from the enemy dog, we've never seen anything come into the yard or near our ducks. He is a great protector of the birds, has no desire to chase them, and patrols the perimeter of the yard all day.

He was definitely the answer to our problem post-attack! My father (who owns the house our place is right next to) also has an australian shepard that has been keeping other predators out at night--once upon a time, we did have bears but I haven't seen one in over 5 years on our property.

Might not be your favorite solution, but at least it's a good consideration over just shooting the animals as others are saying.

I keep collie n shepherd, n have no fences n no problems. have half maine cokn cat that'll kill small coons n possom, n send rest sizes dropping from trees or out of hiding spots so dogs can tear apart. had a rescued fiest dog that'd plow through families of coons like butter, but those lil dogs are crazy need exercising of hunting etc especially even though so small (teeth n jaws of dobe). The fiest not good for homes were cats are let loose, good with children oddly.

Wow—that is quite depressing. You could try night vision and shooting the coons when they come in at night. Other than that, the only way that you may be able to have chickens and ducks is in an enclosure with a concrete bottom (with dirt over it), very sturdy fencing (half inch hardware cloth) and a very strong cover. I'm guessing you haven't had any success at live trapping the terrorist raccoon. A game camera will tell you the coon is in the area, but you still are going to have to get him before he kills the chickens and ducks.

I wish you luck.

Back
Top Bottom