Killer Raccoons

What's LGD stand for

Livestock guardian dog.

There really is only one perfect breed for this and that's a great Pyrenees. However, many many people have found good results using other breeds. Just having a dog around keeps most critters away. I have never heard of a LGD actually engaging with a fox, coyote etc. Chase off, yes, fight no? My beagle has chased bears off my property.

How do you know its a raccoon? I just lost a 6 week old guinea keet that is in with my chickens. None of the other birds were hurt, no damage to the coop/run. Just found the head outside of the run. What do you think it was? The guineas just got put out there last week as they are young and it is 2x3 wire, so I was thinking the raccoon reached through and grabbed it. They haven't figured out how to go into the coop yet.

We have no fence and we've had one encounter with a predator (a horrible little dog that killed our pekin Lemon Pepper). We have a bernese mountain dog/standard poodle mix, and after the attack from the enemy dog, we've never seen anything come into the yard or near our ducks. He is a great protector of the birds, has no desire to chase them, and patrols the perimeter of the yard all day.

He was definitely the answer to our problem post-attack! My father (who owns the house our place is right next to) also has an australian shepard that has been keeping other predators out at night--once upon a time, we did have bears but I haven't seen one in over 5 years on our property.

Might not be your favorite solution, but at least it's a good consideration over just shooting the animals as others are saying.

How do you know its a raccoon? I just lost a 6 week old guinea keet that is in with my chickens. None of the other birds were hurt, no damage to the coop/run. Just found the head outside of the run. What do you think it was? The guineas just got put out there last week as they are young and it is 2x3 wire, so I was thinking the raccoon reached through and grabbed it. They haven't figured out how to go into the coop yet.

Do you have weasels or other small predators in the area?

Still have something eating the bait but not setting the trap. Slow down on catching coons! 24 so far ranging from about 10 lbs to over 50 lbs. Most have been between 30 and 50 lbs.

I have noticed that once a coon taste live fowl, it will continue until stopped permanently.

To answer the question about Chicken wire, I lined the interior of the livestock pen in the barn with chicken wire, but it was not enough to stop them from getting in. the duckling pens was entirely enclosed in chicken wire except for floor and the coons dug under it.

I have never seen a weasel or evidence of one but we do have a pond about 100ft from the coop/run. I thought weasels would kill all of them though in what they think is a fun game. What other small predators are there? I'm in Massachusetts.

this may not be a popular solution for most, but we had lost ducks, turkey poults and chickens to racoons in the past and our birds were all in enclosures, not just coops. they are really clever animals (in a bad way) and we had to combat them with more security and other measures. our desire was to kill off the breeding pairs of coons so new generations would be reduced, so we put fly bait in a mayo jar lid and added some kind of cola to make a thick slurry. the coons would come to drink it every night and then they were gone. we buried the coons, and took up the jar lid every morning to prevent any other animal from being poisoned. did the trick.

I use hunrdes of years tried n true in usa lgds, not though huge slow foreign ones made only to guard large stick from large preds head on, n not fast enough to fight off or catch American small preds. Though anatoilian shepherds are great as well. gsd, rough collie/scottish shepherd etc names for old time "lassie" collie dogs.

neighbor set up feeders and houses for coons for fifty years but suddenly stopped feeding when pyraneese tore down fences to get at feeders and almost killed her two pet dogs. Guess were at least forty paifs of eyes showed up nights later??? At my fences of garden n chicken yard and pond of fish. luckily those butter balls were way too fat to climb my short fence or get through wire, so they just gnawed through goat fencing and were trying to pry way in anywhere there maybe feed for them. one pried open corner of old camper door n came right in, n getting hit with stick end of broom only made him chitter. So kicked him out literally and he just kelt waddling back for more. looked over at a rescued fiest seding him foaming at mouth going nuts at end of chainand them staying well away from him. so i went n turned him loose on them n he killed almost or about eighteen. dog was like a chainsaw with legs! Read up on breed n asked smart ol timers around here (east tn mountains), n they all said fiest bred from crossing in coyote into beagle, make a stronger fiercer hunter/better tracker. i believe as that lil dog has teeth like a doberman, and knows how to use them and has a real atitude, and once every six months he will challenge whoever. and other dogs. he may get one or two good snaps in but usually not even that, and i joke he could fight his way outta a wet paper bag.bag. odd he is so good at killing coons possoms n other small vermin, n can't be left with cats that cannot get up high or he will tear them to shreads. Id definitely recommend smaller shepherd n collie breeds as easily obedient trained and bond to stock small or larger, stay close mostly, love children n women (don't joke about beatn either around a collie or ithey'll take on even a large man, or a couple bears even if thry get around small children).

Back
Top Bottom