Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
I just processed my first bird using these instructions. Or as close to following them as I could. A nasty 14-15wk or so turken cockerel is now resting in pieces in the fridge. We have way too many boys and had to thin the flock a bit and figured we would learn on this one.

It went better than I expected. Hubby wanted to use an axe. It wasn't quite sharp enough but still did the job. We are about to do #2 with the knife instead. Pl

Plucking was ok, smell not too bad but we have only done two so far. Knife was better than the axe. holding the bird through twitches isnt pleasant, i can see why a cone is helpful and then i could just walk away. The warm insides were not surprising but a little uncomfortable. The pot is heating up for #3.

Excellent job!

I just "respectfully butchered" a gal today. I've done egg to Chicken Pot pie now, and though killing day is tedious, it IS the best stock, crust (made from chicken fat) and chicken meat in the world. I'll be sharing her with my friends and family this weekend. Her innards and head and any other stragler parts were put out in the field and within 5 minutes a vulture came and enjoyed a fresh lunch! I sat back, drank my iced tea and watched nature complete the circle.

yesss.gif

Here is a great video, my favorite and inspiration:

Last edited:
Fantastic post! Tomorrow is the day for several of our birds to fulfill their destiny. This will really help. My husband has been a hunter his whole life, cleaning all his animals himself but, these :)are all slightly different. Thanks again.

Can you cut a chicken right after it is cooled after killing? Does it need to sit for any time (like hanging red meat) before you cut it up?

Hello, I let mine sit in cool water for a few hours before I cut it up. The meat "relaxes" a bit and is just easier to work with. Another member here advised to wait at least 24 hours before eating the meat and so I did. I hope this helps. I baked two of my birds for my siblings from the city and they were just amazed at how delicious a chicken can really be. Not to mention how much better those huge brown eggs are!

Back
Top Bottom