Processing chickens by throat cutting

I use the broomstick method and I found it easier once I realized that the really STRONG spasms came from the birds where I'd gotten the fastest, cleanest, easiest kills.

If you think of it as a signal that the kill was fast and merciful it helps.
I do this as well. I hate the sight of my birds spasming after we break their necks, but the stronger spasms help me to know that it was quick and that they likely felt very little if anything. I don't like processing, but it helps to process it like "this was a clean one, I know how to do this now" instead of taking in how the body is currently behaving after the killing blow

My only comment to cutting the throat is to move the feathers out of the way, especially with a cock. They are so tough and, before I knew this, I ended up cutting a big hole in the skin and missed the jugular completely. Bird was watching me with a gaping hole in his throat. Not good.

My only comment to cutting the throat is to move the feathers out of the way, especially with a cock. They are so tough and, before I knew this, I ended up cutting a big hole in the skin and missed the jugular completely. Bird was watching me with a gaping hole in his throat. Not good.
I always slice then snap the neck so they dont feel it much more after that

Back
Top Bottom