Kindergartener over here.

Bishopalready

Chirping
Jan 30, 2022
New Jersey
I got my 2 chickens today, so I can hang out with the Chicken Group too. (Been over with the Quails - 4 Jumbo Coturnix JMF Browns) Back to the chickens. They are Golden Comets, thought I was getting RIR, but these were better suited to or purpose - just for the eggs. They are a year old and proven layers. Got 2 eggs this morning. They are beautiful. One more red, the other a lighter red with more gold highlights. I was told to eat the eggs ASAP since they were visiting with Mr, Rooster last week. How long will it take to get that out their system? When ppl were asking how do they sex their flock, I thought they were trying to mate them for fertile eggs. Help me y'all. A newbie, novice, I know nothing! (Hogan's Heroes), except what I read, and until you're face to face with them, none of it makes sense. Here's another "school me" - I thought only roosters had combs.

Admitting you "know nothing" makes it all easier because you know BYC folks love to be helpful and will rush to your aid whenever possible.

@rosemarythyme is totally correct. Take the eggs, store them however you want (I keep mine, unwashed, on the counter) and eat them when you're ready.

BTW, lots of people believe only roosters have combs, and I bet even more believe that you have to have a rooster in order to get eggs.

Best wishes with your girls and their lovely eggs!

It takes about a month. However, you don’t need to eat them ASAP. I’m not sure you’re ready for details, but I promise it’s okay.
It's okay. I been around for 3 score a decade and some change, nothing too much surprises me. I got chickens and quail in a backyard.. Retired from the government. Details is small potatoes. Please educate me, that's why I'm here. Love your name!

If you’re into written materials the best resource I’ve found is The Beginners Guide to Raising Chickens by Anne Kuo and Hentopia by Frank Hyman. These two books are fun and informative and they answer just about any question you might have about raising chickens. That said, I still return to this group for help on specific issues. Welcome to BYC!

If you’re into written materials the best resource I’ve found is The Beginners Guide to Raising Chickens by Anne Kuo and Hentopia by Frank Hyman. These two books are fun and informative and they answer just about any question you might have about raising chickens. That said, I still return to this group for help on specific issues. Welcome to BYC!
I'm still a Young Chicken, though some call me an Old Hen. Been here 75 yrs. Written material for me is reading the instructions or looking at the pics to see how to get on the internet to get the manual that came with the product. That's I'm here too. :idunno:old

Back
Top Bottom