Knee Injury

The toes are not curled so I don't think that the tendons are torn.  It has only been two weeks since I found him this way and the knot has always been hard.  The leg is straight but painful as he won't put any weight on it.  It could be broken, IDK.

@barkerg

Im betting free ranging will help him. My observations, being that it is hard and knowing how fast birds can heal, its possible that he injured it and it has healed, the good thing is that his toes are not curled which lends hope for a functional future. Exercise is a good therapy, but Im doubtful in a full recovery and expecting a limp.

Gerald Barker

Im betting free ranging will help him. My observations, being that it is hard and knowing how fast birds can heal, its possible that he injured it and it has healed, the good thing is that his toes are not curled which lends hope for a functional future. Exercise is a good therapy, but Im doubtful in a full recovery and expecting a limp.

Gerald Barker

We started putting him outside today. He lays in the sun but does not try to go anywhere.

Is he valuable? If so, maybe an X-ray?

-Kathy

It is a hi% Spaulding Black Shoulder, cock I think... $175 ish in healthy condition. I have a few more but spending a bunch of money on this one is not really appealing to me. BTDT... I will call and see how much an X-ray is. If it is a hen I will be more inclined to get that X-ray. Gerald has a full brother to this one and he really likes his cock.

It is a hi% Spaulding Black Shoulder, cock I think...  $175 ish in healthy condition.  I have a few more but spending a bunch of money on this one is not really appealing to me.  BTDT...  I will call and see how much an X-ray is.  If it is a hen I will be more inclined to get that X-ray.  Gerald has a full brother to this one and he really likes his cock.

Your Killin' me! I almost fell off my seat laughing but, I do love his brother indeed, very tall bird and coloring up real nice.

Gerald Barker

I wonder if he got a green stick fracture and the bone tried to repair itself and caused calcification to form that bump. If it's do to bone trauma I don't think you can do anything unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for surgery. He's probably just going to have to live with it.

I wonder if he got a green stick fracture and the bone tried to repair itself and caused calcification to form that bump. If it's do to bone trauma I don't think you can do anything unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for surgery. He's probably just going to have to live with it.

Vet said about $130 for the x-ray and office visit, not happening. He isn't showing any improvement at all. I put him outside every day for exercise, he eats and drinks fine although he is in a lot of pain. My vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever we started today. He still does not put any weight on that leg. The swelling is rock hard and hot.

Vet said about $130 for the x-ray and office visit, not happening.  He isn't showing any improvement at all.  I put him outside every day for exercise, he eats and drinks fine although he is in a lot of pain.  My vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever we started today.  He still does not put any weight on that leg.  The swelling is rock hard and hot.

Everyone with a respectable flock has a "special" bird, free range him.

Gerald Barker

Maybe someone can spot something in these pics I haven't noticed.

The swelling is very hard and when the bird was alive very warm.

The bird could not stand on the leg and was in a lot of pain.

The first incision is around and through the swollen area.

The yellow in the center is very hard and crunchy, I believe it is calcium.

The white under the skin is very much like gristle.

I cut through the bone in the middle of the swollen area.

This is the second cut through the bone. It appears to me that the bird had a green fracture that was mending or growing out of control.

Back
Top Bottom