Knee Injury

@KsKingBee another thing to keep in mind is that he could of had an earlier open wound in the area that healed and any open wounds near a moving joint should always be treated if its detected early. Bacteria will have an open path to the interior workings of the joint and infection can set in pretty fast. Early discovery is difficult with birds though. This applies to humans as well,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

I agree with the fungal, to a degree, however, neurologic signs would be more apparent. I will admit, I just jumped into the thread not reading every page. Also, the bird if given radiographs will possibly have some opacities at the proximal aspect of the lung parenchyma. Fungal infections start proximal in the lungs and develop heterophilic growths as they progress towards the distal aspect of the lung parenchyma..
Oncogenic growths in this region are extremely uncommon. I have not seen one to date in the diagnostic lab or the field. This does not mean it can't happen.
Depending on where the bird lives, reovirus has been showing its ugly face a lot through the midwest USA all the way to Virginia. This would cause a slipped tendon; some also claim heart attacks (ruptured aorta). Personally, this is a very real possibility. Reovirus is triggered when the bird is stressed, and BOOM you have abnormal gait. I tend to see this as a bilateral problem though, so it is lower on my differentials.

I stand by this is most likely sequelae from a previous respiratory infection gone septicemic. I am assuming it is a heterophilic abscess that will take time to break down. I have seen these take weeks to months to break down.

I would strongly advise to not cut into this unless they are culling the bird or if the bird has no improvement. Their is a lot of vasculature there, and birds need all the blood they can get. If this will be removed, use a lidocaine ring block and sterile surgical instruments. Scalpels are cheap.

Luke

I truly appreciate all the replies that have been freely given. It is that kindness and giving of oneself that adds so much to our on-line community, thank you so much for your time and efforts.

So the bottom line is a bone infection as deduced from what could be seen and read. I, unfortunately, did not know what to look for or how to state what I was looking at so your being able to work with what was provided is quite impressive to my lay mind. With your help and reasoning, I now feel that I can better recognize this problem in the future if it ever happens again. However, if I do come across it again I suppose a quick ending to the suffering is about all that can be done as the antibiotics that I administered had no effect on this bird. (?)

Or, perhaps I should have gone at the treatments differently? What should I have done to battle such an infection?

@casportpony , @Garden Peas, @DylansMom, I have a leg injury on a 2016 bird. It came up lame about two weeks ago and isn't getting any better, have you seen this type of injury before? It is rock hard an isn't getting any better.

I suspect there is pus in there. Is this one that had a respiratory infect this year?

-Kathy

Interestingly, I have one that looks similar and I have been thinking about doing surgery to remove the pus. Will post picture of his swelling later.

-Kathy

In yours I see bruising... is it possible that he broke his leg?

-Kathy

I have had very little problems with infections this year but with 80 or so young birds it is hard to say, he did come from the youngest set that had the most problems with sinus infections. I can not confirm nor deny. That pen did have some cocci that the SMZ was slow to stop, SulfaMed-G did much better. Here is a pic of him from 12-13-16 when I first brought him into the infirmary. The swelling is very hard and more pronounced than when I first brought him inside. He has had two shots of Tylan 200 which did nothing to bring the swelling down. AugeredIn and Gerald both said there is nothing I can do and to just let it become a free ranger in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom