Knee Injury

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
@casportpony , @Garden Peas, @DylansMom, I have a leg injury on a 2016 bird. It came up lame about two weeks ago and isn't getting any better, have you seen this type of injury before? It is rock hard an isn't getting any better.

@casportpony , @Garden Peas, @DylansMom, I have a leg injury on a 2016 bird. It came up lame about two weeks ago and isn't getting any better, have you seen this type of injury before? It is rock hard an isn't getting any better.

I suspect there is pus in there. Is this one that had a respiratory infect this year?

-Kathy

Interestingly, I have one that looks similar and I have been thinking about doing surgery to remove the pus. Will post picture of his swelling later.

-Kathy

In yours I see bruising... is it possible that he broke his leg?

-Kathy

I have had very little problems with infections this year but with 80 or so young birds it is hard to say, he did come from the youngest set that had the most problems with sinus infections. I can not confirm nor deny. That pen did have some cocci that the SMZ was slow to stop, SulfaMed-G did much better. Here is a pic of him from 12-13-16 when I first brought him into the infirmary. The swelling is very hard and more pronounced than when I first brought him inside. He has had two shots of Tylan 200 which did nothing to bring the swelling down. AugeredIn and Gerald both said there is nothing I can do and to just let it become a free ranger in my yard.

Does the swelling feel like bone or cartilage? Or is there a chance that it's hard pus?

-Kathy

The toes are not curled so I don't think that the tendons are torn. It has only been two weeks since I found him this way and the knot has always been hard. The leg is straight but painful as he won't put any weight on it. It could be broken, IDK.

@barkerg

Back
Top Bottom