Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
Could someone help me? I recently bought 2 kraienkoeppe chicks last month and 1 of them looks completely different from the other

This is the different looking one, I was wondering if she was a mixed breed considering she has a weird tail? (if she even has one)
help?
sad.png

Could someone help me? I recently bought 2 kraienkoeppe chicks last month and 1 of them looks completely different from the other

This is the different looking one, I was wondering if she was a mixed breed considering she has a weird tail? (if she even has one)
help?
sad.png
Where'd you get them? From what I can tell, I'd suspect a feather picking issue or something else that kept the tail from growing well. I can't see very well from this angle, but it doesn't look like evidence of the rumpless gene.

I got them from Ideal Hatchery
I've never known Ideal's to be crossed, despite what many said years ago and my assumptions at first. Ideal's stock does have quite the little bag of genetic diversity though. I never got single combs but I know of some who did; I never got rosecombs but George McLaughlin mentioned and even produced a photo at one time of a hen of his with a rosecomb.

I did get pea combs and walnut combs though; mostly yellow legged birds but a couple with white legs and one yellow legged hen had some green "leakage" (which the green spots could be due to Craig Russell's comment that in their native countries, some also produced slate legged fowl though this is a fault both in the US and native countries were yellow is standard). This is of course likely due to them not being bred by a serious breeder in decades.. I'm not even sure of the quality of the original Kraienköppe imported by Schmudde, but I know that these same issues have been cropping up in Kraienköppe in the Netherlands and Germany as well for basically ever (I have photos of the birds from the 1800s and early 1900s showing birds with a variety of types; as well as some newer ones presented in the primary books dedicated to the breed in Germany/The Netherlands.)

To not veer off trail too far; in addition to this my Ideal Kraienköppe, though they were BBreds, I also noticed two types of lines in my birds I kept. Some feathered very quickly and some feathered noticeably slower. This could also be what is influencing your pullet a bit as well..Other than the slow feathering as young chicks, they typically mature out at the same rate and actually the birds from the slow feathering line seemed to turn out to be some of my best birds in the long run in terms of size and type (though the others were also very close; so I never paid much attention to this in reality) I wouldn't worry about it too much so long as she's healthy and there isn't a feather picking issue which could grow into worse things.

Last edited:
Quote: Yes!! That is exactly what happend to her. The normal one grew her feathers way faster than the "distorted" one. Thank you!

47E717C2-027E-4752-B4F4-DE8E856CA1DC.jpeg
Anyone still around that can tell me the sexes of my chicks? One Is darker with a more distinct V on head and a chipmunk pattern. The other is more reddish with more blurry lines. Not the middle one

Back
Top Bottom