lack of sophistication ... yeah.. thats me :)

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
I heard Jeff Foxworthy once say the definition of a redneck is a glorious lack of sophistication. I know I am not a dummy, but honestly, some things don't bug me like they would other folks.. The van parked in the back yard where it got stuck while I was using it to put tension on a tree I was cutting down? Yup, didn't bug me till I needed the van.. The Refrigerator on my front porch because I got it for free, its better than the one in the house, and I was waiting on warmer weather to get it inside 'cuz I have to dismantle the whole door frame and its cold out... The fact we have 2.2 cars per adult in this household.. Or the fact I grow my own food, butcher my own meat, and have a million kids in a semi-controlled rowdy motley crue? Yup..

I like my dad's work friend A. A lives a couple miles up the road from me. We almost dated the same girl (long story short, he did I didn't, but could have) have same circle of friends... Difference? He's an ultra big brain, an engineer with a phd big brain.. and has a very nice wife who is his equal in every way.. We both had a newborn son on the same month.. But somehow we sort of lost touch after he got married, and bumped into each other coming or gowing from OB appointments. Dad had dinner with him and his wife today. Said they'd love to come visit sometime.

Sorta felt weird.. I'm the backwards kid around here, the wanna be farmer/homesteader while he is the image of sophistication.. So I ask my dad, he knows I'm still a bit backwards right? Dad said "yup, and that's all right".

Gotta love good friends and parents!

Hey, anyone wanna help me lug a fridge inside?

I'll help ya Boyd...a little bit backwards is A-OK in my book!!
gig.gif

Your appearance and speech have nothing to do with your brain power or education, don't feel like you can't match up to him. You would be surprised to know how many people are absolutely shocked to find out the many degrees I have when they are in my front yard full of chickens buying eggs or something and then find out later about my education or job. On the other side, he may have a "PhD" brain, but does he have any common sense? Can he feed his family if he loses his job? I'm redneck and proud of it,, on top of that,, I'm a New Texican Redneck, the reddest of the necks!

Quote:
smile.png
That's awesome!

A is a good egg, and I think he could do ok no matter what he did, but it's amazing the differences in our lives, and how much we have in common despite the wide gap of differences. For years my dad called me slightly eccentric and ozark'y
wink.png
I am happy with myself, and sometimes I find the differences between the different folks amusing, and the fact I fell into the trap of my own stereotypical standards
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png
That's awesome!

A is a good egg, and I think he could do ok no matter what he did, but it's amazing the differences in our lives, and how much we have in common despite the wide gap of differences. For years my dad called me slightly eccentric and ozark'y
wink.png
I am happy with myself, and sometimes I find the differences between the different folks amusing, and the fact I fell into the trap of my own stereotypical standards
smile.png

7758 post and with the thought process you started this post with i think A might have a lil competition on his hands on the 'intellectual life' side of thinking
wink.png

Last edited:
Awww Boyd, a lack of sophistication never hurts anyone
big_smile.png
Big brains don't hurt either if one makes sure to keep reality around, and know how things work. I get commented on at work that I'm "so smart", but hell, look at the crap I do here at home. Chicken processing party anyone?

Should ask A to help ya lug that fridge
big_smile.png

Boyd- there's a saying I use all the time "book smart and people stupid".. I work with ALOT of folks who are incredibly intelligent -doctors-post docs etc.... but lack people smarts-they lack communication skills ( NOT ALL FOLKS) but some of the ones I work with- YES! I find folks like you and us a breath of fresh air-make you laugh-have a heart of gold-sense of family and morals with honesty thrown on top-with a hint of redneck-can't get any better than that-I bet you could hold your own in a conversation with that man that would make us all proud to be your friend! I'd rather have a conversation with someone who shares the same qualities and lifestyle than try to understand the language some of them speak-all from a book. I applaud anyone who's education exceeds a high school level-awesome for them ( I have one) but there are certain ways to speak to folks across the spectrum-not the same at all times and think all folks understand...hold your head up high Boyd dont ever be ashamed of who you are and what you have-most folks would love to be in your shoes -even those PHder's!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom