Lady Amherst and Red Golden Pheasant questions

Thank you so much all of you! You were all so helpful!
I’m honestly surprised that they don’t need more space! I was kinda thinking maybe 16x16 for two hens and a male! If I can I’d like to make their pen for 2 males and maybe 10 females 32x32. 😁 I’ll probably start off with one male and two females. Thank you so much everybody!
That’d work great

Thank you so much all of you! You were all so helpful!
I’m honestly surprised that they don’t need more space! I was kinda thinking maybe 16x16 for two hens and a male! If I can I’d like to make their pen for 2 males and maybe 10 females 32x32. 😁 I’ll probably start off with one male and two females. Thank you so much everybody!
The very minimum I would go on pen size is 125 sq.ft. Most of my pens (47) are 180 sq.ft. a few are 320 sq.ft. have a couple that are 1,260 sq.ft. and 2 huge enclosures of 2,500 and 5,000 sq.ft. but those two are for my Prairie chickens. If you have the space and the funds, bigger really is better for raising pheasants. In my experince, bigger pens, are easier to landscape the pen to a natural type habitat. It really is a matter of what you want to do with your aviaries and the species of birds you want to raise.
I'm glad to see you're doing research before you get your birds. :thumbsup

The very minimum I would go on pen size is 125 sq.ft. Most of my pens (47) are 180 sq.ft. a few are 320 sq.ft. have a couple that are 1,260 sq.ft. and 2 huge enclosures of 2,500 and 5,000 sq.ft. but those two are for my Prairie chickens. If you have the space and the funds, bigger really is better for raising pheasants. In my experince, bigger pens, are easier to landscape the pen to a natural type habitat. It really is a matter of what you want to do with your aviaries and the species of birds you want to raise.
I'm glad to see you're doing research before you get your birds. :thumbsup
Thank you so much! As for decorations, what is best? I’ve seen people do rocks and shrubs but in South Jersey, rocks are hard to find..😂 I’m sure we could get them somewhere if necessary. And..what about roosts? Do they like bamboo roosts or is wood fine? I have access to both. 🙂 Is there a certain type of shrub or bush that the hens prefer to hide in from the roosters? Are the males even called roosters? 😂
And again, thank you so much!

Thank you so much! As for decorations, what is best? I’ve seen people do rocks and shrubs but in South Jersey, rocks are hard to find..😂 I’m sure we could get them somewhere if necessary. And..what about roosts? Do they like bamboo roosts or is wood fine? I have access to both. 🙂 Is there a certain type of shrub or bush that the hens prefer to hide in from the roosters? Are the males even called roosters? 😂
Many of my pens have large smooth rocks, logs, limbs, stumps, clumping bamboo, rose of Sharron, lantana, pampas grass and other native grasses and plants.
Some of the pens are bare except for the rocks and stumps, limbs, because they have eaten everything I have tried to grow in the pen! :(
Male birds are called 'cocks' or just plain male birds.

It’s actually pretty easy to have habitat get a couple high point roost spots then basically any type of thick brush for them to ride in or just things to hide under

Many of my pens have large smooth rocks, logs, limbs, stumps, clumping bamboo, rose of Sharron, lantana, pampas grass and other native grasses and plants.
Some of the pens are bare except for the rocks and stumps, limbs, because they have eaten everything I have tried to grow in the pen! :(
Male birds are called 'cocks' or just plain male birds.
Thank you! I have access to all of those plants and actually have a spare rose of Sharon that needs to moved within a year or so! 😁 I’m assuming everything that is poisonous for chickens is poisonous for them as well? Thank you!

Thank you! I have access to all of those plants and actually have a spare rose of Sharon that needs to moved within a year or so! 😁 I’m assuming everything that is poisonous for chickens is poisonous for them as well? Thank you!
Some peeps claim lantana is poisonous but my birds eat the berries and leaves and it hasn't killed one yet!

Back
Top Bottom