Lakenvelders

Hello, I'm still fairly new at chickens and I am getting to know the breeds currently I am working with the chanteclers here in Vermont. I live in a rural area and I am possible interested in the Laken velders due to there great foragaing ability and flighty enough to avoid preditors. I am currently using electric fencing around my coop at night And during the day but... when the grass starts growing again I would love a bird that can free range and just come back to the coop at night. so I can keepthe fence off during the day. My question for you all..

Can anyone speak to the dual purpose of the breed? In other wards are they a decent enough meat bird? How large do the roos get? At this time I am not interested in showing birds. I keep birds to feed my family but I am in love with heritage breeds.

Thanks
Although they are a large fowl breed they are on the smaller
side and not what I would call a meat breed. Having said
that, they do have enough body to them that you can
process and eat if needed but just not much meat to them.
Would be a good stew or soup sized bird. They can be trained
to return to the coop at night but some do like to roost outside.
Good luck with your flock.

Hello, I'm still fairly new at chickens and I am getting to know the breeds currently I am working with the chanteclers here in Vermont. I live in a rural area and I am possible interested in the Laken velders due to there great foragaing ability and flighty enough to avoid preditors. I am currently using electric fencing around my coop at night And during the day but... when the grass starts growing again I would love a bird that can free range and just come back to the coop at night. so I can keepthe fence off during the day. My question for you all..

Can anyone speak to the dual purpose of the breed? In other wards are they a decent enough meat bird? How large do the roos get? At this time I am not interested in showing birds. I keep birds to feed my family but I am in love with heritage breeds.

Thanks
They are a great free ranging bird, but like said above they prefer to sleep in the trees. I also raise campines and they would probably be a bit better at returniing at night.

Any bird is dual purpose, in that any bird can be eaten (the orient praises silkie meat and they are a bantam). I've never processed any of my Lakenvelder, but we eat Campines all the time. They are a similar sized/built bird. The dressed weight on a Campine is around 3 pounds. There are only two of us, so one bird feeds us two meals just fine.

BUT freeranging Laks (and Camp too) and absolute eye candy as they move about your yard. The Lakenvelders are actually the breed that drew me back to showing poultry after a nearly two decade absence.

Hi, y'all, my first post here. I had bought 5 Lakenvelder chicks last fall and would like to show a breeding pair at the Co. Fair in September. I have 3 hens and 2 roosters to choose from. Any idea on how to make a selection? The 2 roosters are very similar. One of the hens is clearly more mature, with a bigger, redder comb. They are starting to lay: I am getting one egg a day, once I found 2. The eggs are off-white, small.
Thank you.

Hi, y'all, my first post here. I had bought 5 Lakenvelder chicks last fall and would like to show a breeding pair at the Co. Fair in September. I have 3 hens and 2 roosters to choose from. Any idea on how to make a selection? The 2 roosters are very similar. One of the hens is clearly more mature, with a bigger, redder comb. They are starting to lay: I am getting one egg a day, once I found 2. The eggs are off-white, small.
Thank you.
Welcome to the thread. First study a picture of the ideal Lakenvelder. Imprint that outline in your mind. Then study your birds for who comes closest to that ideal. Once you've narrowed down your choice, then look for the cleanest markings. Blackest black and whitest white.

Good luck.

Sadly, I have been unable to find any information of "exhibition Lakenvelders". Where would I find a picture of an "ideal Lakenvelder"? Thank you.

Sadly, I have been unable to find any information of "exhibition Lakenvelders". Where would I find a picture of an "ideal Lakenvelder"? Thank you.
You can also check with your local county extention office. I borrowed an SOP book for about a month from my county at no cost.

i do not have pics but i have two lakenvelders rooster and hen they are not good laying chickens you git about three eggs a week
they are good to find food like rats they will eat rats they and all chickens full grown need three oz of food a day each chicks need
one to two oz they do good in a coop or freeranging so i have a lot of info if you won`t more let me knowe ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom