Landowner Kills Dogs Killing chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my experience, the dogs who are out roaming don't have collars or tags. that's the problem. if they cared enough to have tags, would they be out running the streets. dogs get out sometimes, but anything that is recurring is negligence on the part of the owner.

Quote:
If necessary, yes.

And I believe the article stated that the dogs were only a short distance from home, and that the neighbors knew the dogs. A few inquiries would have pointed the chicken owner in the right direction.

Meghan

Harper said he offered to pay George Kubicek for the chickens before he realized that the man had shot his dogs.

So nice of them. Give them a few bucks and that's it. What about the time, effort and feed that went into these chickens? I doubt they'd have given the guy what he had into the chickens.

And what's with these people here making threats to the guy who lost his livestock? They are dogs destroying property. There is no excuses.​

Quote:
Thats what I want to know as well. I feel for both sides, I would have absolutly kicked up the biggest stink the FIRST time it happened.

it was a joke. i have never seen a roaming dog with a collar.

but then maybe our neighborhoods are very different.

actually, asking the neighbors, uh, where does that dog that killed my chikens live in my experince will not point to the dog's owners. many people will not "give up" someone like that. i have had livestock attacked by dogs and the owner has never admitted it.

i own dogs. i love dogs. i actually like them more than chickens. my dogs sleep with me at night. our parents refer to them as their grandchildren and they get presents on holidays and taken to special places on their birthdays.

BUT

it is my sole responsibility to keep them on my property.

I once had 15 beautiful silkies. Penned and cared for, safe in my back yard. I found them laying dead and slaughtered one morning and their cage destroyed.
I had no idea who the monsters were that brought such horror to my home.
Late that next night, shot gun armed, my husband sat and waited. In a very short while a pack of four dogs came back for more fun and play. One of them did not go home that night. the other three were never seen on our farm again. a message must have been received.
This is my farm. I paid for it. Pay taxes and insurance on it. these are my chickens. if y ou come to my property to destroy, you might not go back home.

i hate that those dogs were killed. I have dogs and i love them fiersely. but my dogs dont destroy others property. if they do i realize what could happen. qui sa ra

When I was growing up we had a neighbor's dogs come and kill a rabbit. The neighbor told us that if we even just see the dogs on our property again to shoot them. What happened to this kind of ideas? I've always had animals and love them but, if they are getting into trouble there is a price to pay! We have cattle. Our fences are well maintained but, sometimes they get out. If they end up at a neighbors we always ask what we owe for damages. Luckily with cattle they don't kill animals, just tromple things. I've had a dog that bit a person and put puncture wounds in her arm. He spent his time in quarentine and then I cried when he was put down. I still have the good memories and scars to remember him by. But at least he wasn't going to be able to hurt anyone/anything else. He would have been put down even if it had been an animal and not me.

I truely think it is the demeaner of the dogs that makes a person decide weither to get the gun or the phone. I have had 2 dogs from neighbors that have killed 1 chicken each. Both of these dogs were bird dogs and both times I caught the dogs and called the owners. They had collars, 1 with the phone number, 1 without. Both owners payed me what I thought was very fair for my loss and the dogs have never come back. I actually have seen them loose on several occasions but luckily they havent come back. These dogs did not growl at me or were not in a frenzy when I caught them and that is why I didnt shoot them, if I didnt recognize them or they growled at me the outcome would have been different. My own dogs have killed more of my chickens then predators and that is because my hubby and kids were not watching them. I was not home at the time or it would not have happened. I could have shot them that time. Off the subject a little my sister once had a female husky that was in heat and of course all of the neighboring dogs were coming around. She had one bassett that just kept coming back day after day. He was a very friendly dog, just bad owners. She duck taped his whole lower half around and around and then sent him home with a note on his collar saying if I run off again I wont come home. She didnt see him again. Everyone reacts to the situation and it is done. At least the farmer told them that he shot thier dogs and it was quick. He didnt have to do that and no one would have ever been the wiser. The dog owners would have spent months and months wondering what had happened and maybe spent lots of money trying to find them. They might be heartbroken about what had happen but it could have been a lot worse. Jenn

Coming from a family of hunters....I remember sitting on a box many time when I was very young and watching my Dad skin an elk/deer asking my dad many questions about hunting and guns.I remember he once told me that guns never solve a problem....talking does....When you kill someone or something you cannot go back....One dog had a collar and was not aggressive towards the human ....Kennel it and call the authorities or the owners....talk about it....now the dogs are dead and more chickens were killed and people are tense in that town towards each other...How sad...and most likely kids are watching and learning negative ways on solving problems.Never ending circle......

Only in the end do people realize there might have been a better way to solve the problem. It's too late for the dogs and the dogs owners. Who's to say even if the dogs owners had known about the chicken killing that the dogs wouldn't have gotten out again? They would keep going back to kill again, and again.

The big ole support group threatening the man and his family who shot the dogs needs to stop (it's childish anyways, not to mention illegal) and rally together to get the law changed, if they can.

I believe in the end they wouldn't be successful, too many people know the damage a dog can do once they get a taste of killing and blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom