Langshan Thread!!!

Happy Thanksgiving.

PetRock, I uploaded a few pictures of the cock I have from our mutual source. He's 19 months old and is recovering from a tail and neck molt. He's rough but you can get an idea of his type. He's not perfect but I like his width. I've included a picture of a wide pullet that I may breed to him. Overall my flock is too narrow. I also included a picture of my two headed, three legged pullet.

Hey guys! Sorry! Was getting prepped for the ice/snow storm! Dirt Farmer, really like the width on that male. Only thing I'd watch out for is a little more leg length on the female and/or less fluff. It could just be she was fluffing herself as she is in the sun.

Happy Thanksgiving.

PetRock, I uploaded a few pictures of the cock I have from our mutual source. He's 19 months old and is recovering from a tail and neck molt. He's rough but you can get an idea of his type. He's not perfect but I like his width. I've included a picture of a wide pullet that I may breed to him. Overall my flock is too narrow. I also included a picture of my two headed, three legged pullet.

Thank you for posting these! Sorry that it took me a while to respond. We spent all of Thanksgiving week in San Diego playing on the beach, etc. I'm still trying to recover from all the fun!
smile.png

Hey guys! Sorry! Was getting prepped for the ice/snow storm! Dirt Farmer, really like the width on that male. Only thing I'd watch out for is a little more leg length on the female and/or less fluff. It could just be she was fluffing herself as she is in the sun.

I see what you mean now that you point it out. I've moved all my pullets (Langshans and layers) to their own pen as the C's and K's were messing up their toplines. Probably about February I'll start posting pictures of what I think are my best male and best two or maybe three females. I can't keep a large number of birds so I'll be looking for advice on how to take my 3 males and 6 females to a flock of about 20 birds. Two of my cockerels are from the same line, and four of the pullets also from the same line (Padgett's Exhibition Poultry). I have the cock that I bought at a show last January, and a splash pullet from the Ebay line. I don't know from all my internet reading if its more important to stay in the same line, try to maintain some diversity, or just make the best pairings based on the birds presentation. In my rather short history with Barred Rocks, it seemed the most difficult aspect was keeping the flock up to size. I haven't weighed these birds in a while but I suspect they are not up to standard. Would it be advisable to just breed for size for a season, or is type more important? What do you guys think?

Thank you for posting these! Sorry that it took me a while to respond. We spent all of Thanksgiving week in San Diego playing on the beach, etc. I'm still trying to recover from all the fun!
smile.png
When I moved to CA in the 70's San Diego was a favorite destination. The locals probably thought you were nuts frolicing on the beach in November. If they knew you were from the Bay Area, all would be forgiven. As Samuel Clemens said, " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. " My pipes froze yesterday morning.
Glad you had a fun holiday. Are you planning on going to Stockton in January?

I see what you mean now that you point it out. I've moved all my pullets (Langshans and layers) to their own pen as the C's and K's were messing up their toplines. Probably about February I'll start posting pictures of what I think are my best male and best two or maybe three females. I can't keep a large number of birds so I'll be looking for advice on how to take my 3 males and 6 females to a flock of about 20 birds. Two of my cockerels are from the same line, and four of the pullets also from the same line (Padgett's Exhibition Poultry). I have the cock that I bought at a show last January, and a splash pullet from the Ebay line. I don't know from all my internet reading if its more important to stay in the same line, try to maintain some diversity, or just make the best pairings based on the birds presentation. In my rather short history with Barred Rocks, it seemed the most difficult aspect was keeping the flock up to size. I haven't weighed these birds in a while but I suspect they are not up to standard. Would it be advisable to just breed for size for a season, or is type more important? What do you guys think?
I breed for both at the same time. I breed for type first, then go for size. It's easier to get size than overall type from what I've experienced. A bird that has a flat back but is huge vs. a bird that is a little smaller but has a perfect tail angle, for me there isn't a competition. The smaller bird will get it. If you're lucky, you'll have birds that have good type AND good size, then just select the birds that have good type, and are a little larger than the others. I've had to do that this year to select for longer legs. I have a pullet that I keep looking at. She is overall smaller, but her leg length is amazing...sometimes I hold onto them a little too long and I talk myself into trying them out just to see. I shame myself.

When I moved to CA in the 70's San Diego was a favorite destination. The locals probably thought you were nuts frolicing on the beach in November. If they knew you were from the Bay Area, all would be forgiven. As Samuel Clemens said, " The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. " My pipes froze yesterday morning.
Glad you had a fun holiday. Are you planning on going to Stockton in January?
Yes, Stockton is definitely on my calendar! I am hoping that James makes it and has some birds or chicks or eggs for me. That reminds me, I better touch bases with him!
smile.png

Well, went to my first show back down south. Was kinda depressing. I was really hoping to see some more Langshans at the show, but alas, just my 2 blues were the only largefowl. I had entered 4, and 2 of them decided now would be the perfect time to molt. I didn't want to stress them so I didn't bother bringing them. Breeders first, show birds second. Alot of people were looking at them, so hopefully we'll get some converts!

NOW! In the bantam department, there was some more competition! (Note: Shocked face!) There were 4 blacks, 1 blue (mine) and 4 whites (mine). I'm still convinced I would have taken BB with a white bantam had I been able to wash the week before..but..ice storm kinda ruined that. Anyway, the black bird that won the BB was deserving. Gorgeous little pullet with nice leg length! Hopefully we can convert the guy to joining the Langshan Club! ;)

How is everyone else doing? I hear there is alot of weather happening and coming in the next few weeks...not a fan at all.

I did wind up selling 2 blue Langshan pullets that will be a good start for someone. I kept looking at the male and I just can't let him leave (yet). Something is telling me to keep them..learn to listen to your gut guys! There's always a reason!

Back
Top Bottom