Large Lump on RIR back

mpop6

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2017
Hello,
I noticed my 1 year old RIR was missing feathers around her neck. When I checked her for mites (I didn't see any) I noticed a large lump on her back. It is about the size of a golf ball, squishy and has no feathers growing out of it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

If this lump is squishy, it's probably not a cyst or a tumor. It is probably filled with water or blood. Perhaps a hematoma from an injury.

You could spend some money at a vet and they might tell you the same thing. The best thing to do is nothing. Your hen's body should take care of it in time, absorbing the liquid back into her body, gradually disappearing.

If over the next month it remains the same or becomes larger and harder, then that would indicate I'm wrong and something more serious is going on, such as a cancerous tumor.

Keep an eye on the skin of the bulge. If it becomes red and hot, you should then suspect an infection.

Thank you!! A raccoon did get into our chicken run 2 weeks ago. We lost 2 chickens:( maybe she hurt herself trying to get away.

Back
Top Bottom