Large shed refab to Goat/Coop

x2 on adding more ventilation.
I keep the big barn doors and window opened all day as pictured for main ventilation.
Problem with relying on doors for ventilation is it only provides airflow during the day. Chickens are mainly in the coop at night, so having ventilation around the clock is essential to let moisture escape.

How big is that shed?
How many birds do you plan on having long term?

Here's the best way to ventilate a gambrel roof:
1663853828829.png

Adding fly rafters on gable ends to extend roof there too.

Will there be a pop door into a run for the chickens?
Are you aware that goats can gorge on chicken feed and get very (even fatally) ill?
It might be very difficult to keep the goats out of the chicken areas, especially ND's.

here in central Oklahoma.
Welcome to BYC! @KenzieDenas
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1663854006878.png

Will there be a pop door into a run for the chickens?
Are you aware that goats can gorge on chicken feed and get very (even fatally) ill?
It might be very difficult to keep the goats out of the chicken areas, especially ND's.
Thank you very much! Im excited and love the community so far. I probably wont mess with the structure of the roof too much. Ill probably do the large windows with eavs on each side as suggested by another user and a top spinning vent on the roof.
I will probably stay in the 10-15 range. I have not measured the whole shed but their square footage requirements inside are quite beyond the minimum if I'd like to add more ladies.

There is a pop up door into their run. I showed in one of the pictures in the main post then again in comments.
I am aware of the concern about their feed which is why I have the large half wall errected to separate the areas and they have separate runs and ranging areas.

Welcome to BYC!

For ventilation I'm cutting out 2 more ventilations on either side under the lip of the roof. I keep the big barn doors and window opened all day as pictured for main ventilation. We are located in Oklahoma and still in the thick of the heat. I need the wall vents done soon for winter so it doesn't get too moist.

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird.

Here's my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

That's perfect! Be able to close it during our bad weather here in central Oklahoma. Thank you very much!

You can have supplemental ventilation that is opened in hot weather and closed during storms, but you have to have the permanent ventilation that is NEVER closed. The goal isn't to keep the chickens warm, but to keep them dry and out of the wind. They keep themselves warm with their built-in down parkas. :D

Gambrels are difficult to ventilate. If you don't want to rebuild the roof you could consider adding a monitor or some functional cupolas. They're better than ridge vents because snow blocks ridge vents easily. Not sure how snow affects spinners.

Here's some info on chickens in cold weather for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Welcome to BYC!

The usual guideline is to have at least 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird.

Here's my article on coop ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

You can have supplemental ventilation that is opened in hot weather and closed during storms, but you have to have the permanent ventilation that is NEVER closed. The goal isn't to keep the chickens warm, but to keep them dry and out of the wind. They keep themselves warm with their built-in down parkas. :D

Gambrels are difficult to ventilate. If you don't want to rebuild the roof you could consider adding a monitor or some functional cupolas. They're better than ridge vents because snow blocks ridge vents easily. Not sure how snow affects spinners.

Here's some info on chickens in cold weather for you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/
Thank you so much! I actually made a post about my concern for the heat that you commented and gave me my ideas to start with! I read your article over and over again to try and get some solid ideas which helped a lot. It's just a limit on what I'm able to and willing to do involving the roof is my drawback.

Thank you so much! I actually made a post about my concern for the heat that you commented and gave me my ideas to start with! I read your article over and over again to try and get some solid ideas which helped a lot. It's just a limit on what I'm able to and willing to do involving the roof is my drawback.
Do what you can and are able to do and make modifications. Trust me when you think your coop is done it's only for a short amount of time before new ideas start popping up and you change stuff. I've probably made 7 or 8 alterations to my coop in the last year and some change, lol, and they were all beneficial to my flock. You have to change the way you think about things a bit because what may be "good" in your head may not be good for your ladies.

Do what you can and are able to do and make modifications. Trust me when you think your coop is done it's only for a short amount of time before new ideas start popping up and you change stuff. I've probably made 7 or 8 alterations to my coop in the last year and some change, lol, and they were all beneficial to my flock. You have to change the way you think about things a bit because what may be "good" in your head may not be good for your ladies.
Very good advise thank you! Have to have that perspective in mind when formulating what and how I'm doing things for them. That's why I'm trying to take in knowledge wherever I can to make informed decisions. You guys are a giant help in doing that 🌷🐥🐓

Back
Top Bottom