Large tear/cut below vent

KurochkaRyaba

Chirping
Apr 4, 2023
I don’t understand what happened but I came home to find my 1 year old Lavender Orpington bleeding from below her vent. Shes been in the run and coop - no wild animals got to her, there are 30 other chickens with her and everyone else is fine, shes acting fine.

I watched her poop and its not her vent - no reason to suspect shes egg bound.

I’ve given her an epsom salt bath, spray with vetericyn, and separated her from the flock.

I don’t understand what happened - can’t see that its a cut, theres nothing to cut herself on. I can’t find a blood trail. Is it remotely possible this is a tear from her pushing an egg?

What else can I do aside from keep her separated, clean, and spray with vetericyn? Do I need a vet? What could they do?

Is there something I’m missing?

E4EDD873-4B79-4E97-996A-E5A7B7EA44FF.jpeg

CC70D819-0351-4A4C-AF12-D19EEA51B073.png

Reality is we do not know what happened. You've done the right things, cleaned the wound and separated her to keep the others from cannibalizing the wound.
It's a large wound so to heal it, you must keep it moist with antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Do not allow it to dry out. Clean it daily with soap and water or a wound cleanser. Then oint her up again.

I'm wondering if she is a heavy hen with a large deposit of fat under her vent. It may have been too much for the skin to keep stretching and it finally ruptured. Is she heavier than the others?

Reality is we do not know what happened. You've done the right things, cleaned the wound and separated her to keep the others from cannibalizing the wound.
It's a large wound so to heal it, you must keep it moist with antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Do not allow it to dry out. Clean it daily with soap and water or a wound cleanser. Then oint her up again.

I'm wondering if she is a heavy hen with a large deposit of fat under her vent. It may have been too much for the skin to keep stretching and it finally ruptured. Is she heavier than the others?
She is a very big chicken. About 6 lbs, the size of my biggest (out of two) brahma hen.

She’s drying off now from her bath and I’ve put iodine on the wound but we’ll spread some neosporin on it.

Shes going to spend the night in my guest room in a kennel with some food and water.

Back
Top Bottom