Large tear/cut below vent

image.jpg
First day Misty has not been herself. Not much of an appetite today but she ate a little and drank plenty. Mostly doing the puffed up pulled in head thing chickens do when they don’t feel well. She did walk around a little when I got home.

Her wound looks the same, no smell, no discharge but I think it feels warmer than yesterday. Hard to be sure and I cant find my no contact thermometer. Sprayed again and applied neosporin.

I gave her another dose of amoxicillin tonight and can’t make up my mind if I’ve made her sick with it or she has an infection. I syringed her 250mg yesterday morning and again in the evening.

Poor girl, I really hope shes feeling better tomorrow.

It looks like the pink tissue is growing in. I would still do wound care twice a day. If you have a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt once a day mixed in with some food or some probiotics, that might help if the antibiotics are affecting her gut.

Okay, will continue. Thank you again for the reassurance. And I’ll have to see about getting her some Greek Yogurt today. Think I have a tiny bit of probiotics left I can add to it.

8FFBED5B-2E23-46DA-A603-85C6924CDBAA.jpeg

5CE893A4-B63E-4CB3-B97C-21D16636F2B8.jpeg

Just a quick update: Misty is laying again, her wound is looking much better as well. I did put her out with the other girls yesterday for a little free ranging and somebirdy picked off her scab but she’s still looking good. I think she’s about ready to go back out though.

She is looking better but I am not sure I would put her out with the others just yet because they may still pick at her. Unless ... you could put some Blu-Kote on it so they can't see any redness in it. Do keep it moist with antibiotic ointment, and watch out for flystrike.

@Eggcessive, do you agree with this or have anything else to add?

Back
Top Bottom