Larger scale water and food systems

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
I’d like to make my flock as low daily maintenance as possible as work will keep me away from my girls for a couple days at a time. I’ll have someone picking up eggs and I already have an automatic chicken door to close the coop daily.

I have 25 birds currently.

I was thinking of using a black garbage can for water and adding cups or nipples. Maybe even a combination of both. Would you suggest doing one larger (32 gal) or making 2 smaller (20 gal) watering systems?

Hubby has also suggested doing a couple 5gal buckets set inside the rubber livestock bowls to utilize auto-leveling waterers.

Also for food I was thinking of using a metal garbage can and cutting holes in the bottom. Then placing on another can lid.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or first hand accounts to direct me would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 01D2E4ED-C88C-475F-9068-CAB90550ED90.jpeg
    01D2E4ED-C88C-475F-9068-CAB90550ED90.jpeg
    913.7 KB · Views: 23
  • C3A7788D-4C0E-4F02-B2F6-3266FCF89E9B.png
    C3A7788D-4C0E-4F02-B2F6-3266FCF89E9B.png
    813.4 KB · Views: 13
I use PVC pipe for both the food and the water for my chickens. This is useful for when I am not home and so that I don't have to go inside as much.

The feeders are tall and has y split going two ways. (I'll take a picture)

The water is horizontal with nipples and a pressure regulator. (I'll take a picture)

Would pvc feeders do well for large comb’d birds?
I've used the "no waste" type (90 degree elbow going down into feed) with leghorns. The other type, described above, would not pose any issue as they open upwards and birds wat out of the end like a dish(downside being billing/spilling can be a problem if not setup to prevent

If you want a waterer that can be used in winter, do not use the cups that are shown in the picture. Cups freeze very easily. Use horizontal nipples instead.

Back
Top Bottom