Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
I checked back in the incubator to see if the humidity had dropped from 70 and one of my eggs has yellow spots that has suddenly come out of the shell. What is it? Do I need to worry? Help!! The temp went up to 105 for a while as well.

I checked back in the incubator to see if the humidity had dropped from 70 and one of my eggs has yellow spots that has suddenly come out of the shell.  What is it?  Do I need to worry?  Help!! The temp went up to 105 for a while as well.

If they are sappy spots it could mean the egg is rotten. I would give it a sniff and if it stinks remove it so it doesn't explode and contaminate the other eggs.

I just put my eggs in lockdown, sort of. I'm doing a triple staggered hatch this time in the same incubator, we shall see how this goes. 4 Isbars due Monday, 6 Sapphires due Wednesday, and 9 Serama for Friday.

My hatch is now finished for a total hatch rate of 85% (of my eggs). I have 26 adorable little chicks. I needed to assist a total of two, 1 was in the wrong position and was definitely ready to come out and the other had an internal pip but for some reason couldn't pip externally. I heard it tapping against the shell but after 34 hours of on and off tapping I made an external pip for it and then it had trouble kicking out of the shell. The chick isn't dry yet, I'll examine for abnormalities when dry.
Also, could a bald back be genetic? I had a chick born with a bald back (no it wasn't picked on) and his mother when I picked her up from the feed store as a chick had a bald back (I got her because I thought she was being bullied).

My hatch is now finished for a total hatch rate of 85% (of my eggs). I have 26 adorable little chicks. I needed to assist a total of two, 1 was in the wrong position and was definitely ready to come out and the other had an internal pip but for some reason couldn't pip externally. I heard it tapping against the shell but after 34 hours of on and off tapping I made an external pip for it and then it had trouble kicking out of the shell. The chick isn't dry yet, I'll examine for abnormalities when dry.
Also, could a bald back be genetic? I had a chick born with a bald back (no it wasn't picked on) and his mother when I picked her up from the feed store as a chick had a bald back (I got her because I thought she was being bullied).
That's a good hatch rate
smile.png
I'm not sure if the bald back is genetic or not... I've never had a chicken with a bald back.

Congrats on your hatch!!!
Some animals do have baldness patterns. I had some sussex which I had to cull because they did not feather under their necks for months. But, if they are going in your backyard flock then...who cares! Enjoy them!

Day 7 of the latest batch and my dry hatch humidity jumped to 70% took the top off my JN12 and candled 4 of the 17 eggs. Since they are on their sides and I'm doing the turning not the automatic turner three looked ok but the fourth had a red ring. Humidity dropped back down to 50 when I put the top back on. Did this hurt the eggs?
You won't know the impact of this for a few days when you check development again. Also, if i had that oozy egg...I'd get it out of there as it is a sign of leakage through the pores & possibly may explode. I hope everything works out okay for you on this hatch!

I ordered a bunch of male leghorn chicks from Murray McMurray and about fifty percent of them were bald on their shoulder, directly in front of the top of their wings. I thought the same thing, that they'd been picked on, but it was exactly the same spot in all affected. I sent Mcmurry a message and they said some breeds/strains just have bald areas as chicks, which seems to confirm to me that it's genetic though they didn't use those words. They all feathered in fine and I couldn't tell which had the bald patches after two weeks.

I ordered a bunch of male leghorn chicks from Murray McMurray and about fifty percent of them were bald on their shoulder, directly in front of the top of their wings. I thought the same thing, that they'd been picked on, but it was exactly the same spot in all affected. I sent Mcmurry a message and they said some breeds/strains just have bald areas as chicks, which seems to confirm to me that it's genetic though they didn't use those words. They all feathered in fine and I couldn't tell which had the bald patches after two weeks.
I have 15 leghorns coming from Murray McMurray in a couple weeks...They are going to need their fluff in this Central NY cold! How are your chicks otherwise?

Back
Top Bottom