Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Update! Twenty three out. Three look dead. No movement at all. One is pipped and one is trying. I've heard him tapping since last night. May have to help him but I'm so scared to try. I assisted one wrong end pipper and he's almost out. Just trying to let all those little skinny veins finish drying up. And my little scrambled or infected guy is still going! His vent has some dried up stuff though.

With your plugged vent guy it will need cleaned off or he will plug up and die. I couldn't see where his yolk sac was attached...just try and keep that clean and antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. If the little guy has been tapping since last night he may be stuck. The ones at the end of the hatch are sometimes shrink wrapped or malpositioned. Good luck with the end of your hatch ! Anything above 50% hatch rate is great for shipped eggs ...even if they have s short car ride!

I'm trying.  Keep looking in the side.  Temp is going down humidity up and pip number one looks a tiny bit bigger.  This is nerve wracking.  Can't see any others pipping yet.  I know I seem stupid but I never grew up around chickens or animals to be used to the excitement.

You are right it is so nerve wracking! Just go to bed and look for some fluff in the am! Usually takes them a while to go from pip to zip to out. My longest was 28 hours. Don't feel dumb...we have all been there! Good luck !
1f603.png

With your plugged vent guy it will need cleaned off or he will plug up and die. I couldn't see where his yolk sac was attached...just try and keep that clean and antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. If the little guy has been tapping since last night he may be stuck. The ones at the end of the hatch are sometimes shrink wrapped or malpositioned. Good luck with the end of your hatch ! Anything above 50% hatch rate is great for shipped eggs ...even if they have s short car ride!

Well, the hatch is over. Ended up with 25 out of the 29 that went into lockdown. I lost the little sickly guy. He just started going downhill and was gone within a couple hours. :( had to make a pip for the little tapping guy. Turns out his lower beak is bigger than his top and he couldn't break out on his own. Completely hatched him out and he's doing perfect! I'm overall very happy with this hatch. Sad for the sickly one but I know I did my best to help him. Now time to clean the incubators. Yuck! Thanks so much for all of the advice! :)

day 22 +4 hrs. I haven't heard a peep for two or three days but I have three eggs with pips. I'm hoping they are going to make it and maybe some of the other 9. No movement but then I didn't spot movement with the first three. Fingers crossed. If for no other reason than to keep from opening the incubator LOL

day 22 +4 hrs.  I haven't heard a peep for two or three days but I have three eggs with pips. I'm hoping they are going to make it and maybe some of the other 9.  No movement but then I didn't spot movement with the first three.  Fingers crossed.  If for no other reason than to keep from opening the incubator LOL

Oh gosh, I couldn't keep my hands out of there. I honestly don't know a lot about this but I think you need to get in there and help them if you are okay with assisting. I don't think that's normal for them to be pipped that long and no more cheeping. Mine cheeped like crazy after pipping. Anyone else have advice that is more experienced? I don't want to steer you wrong but that doesn't seem right.

Update! Twenty three out. Three look dead. No movement at all. One is pipped and one is trying. I've heard him tapping since last night. May have to help him but I'm so scared to try. I assisted one wrong end pipper and he's almost out. Just trying to let all those little skinny veins finish drying up. And my little scrambled or infected guy is still going! His vent has some dried up stuff though.

Sorry you lost this one, but I suspect it had a yolk sac infection, which are almost impossible to treat. That crusty "thing" is the umbilicus, not the vent, and it looks infected to me. Only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done at a lab. One can also try doing their own necropsy, though you might not see anything obvious.

Again, sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom