Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Just 11 days to go before hatch day! Yesterday I had to adjust my temperature by just over 1 F as the eggs are already emitting their own heat. I used to add water to the humidity trays every 3 days but now suddenly I have to add more water every 1 1/2 days. I'm watching my 10 eggs closely.
pop.gif

I will be doing a staggered hatch (adding 30 plus eggs for easter hatch-a-long later in the week) and have to figure out how to turn a styrofoam cooler into a hatch chamber. Has anyone else done this? If so how did you maintain appropriate humidity? Duck eggs need 65% humidity for hatching. I will be using a heat lamp for the heat source and will have everything up and running a few days before moving eggs there at lockdown. I do have 2 styrofoam coolers, 1 much larger than the other. How the heck do you maintain humidity while letting the heat lamp do its job?
idunno.gif
My ideas so far are:
Cut grooves into bottom of cooler to hold water, put eggs in, cover top of cooler with saran wrap, and put heat lamp at the right distance to get appropriate hatching temperature. This is my first hatch in many, many years and I really want it to go well.
jumpy.gif
Just thinking out loud...Could you practice with different sized water dishes with marbles in it? If you did grooves you could put some hardware cloth over it so they would not drowned. I would be concerned saran wrap may cut off too much oxygen and melt. I think there are some cooler bators on this site.

I am not a duck hatcher..but, i saw you didn't have any answers.I would leave them sit to acclimate to room temp or if there is a chance their air cells were damaged. Other than that I don't really think it matters.  Best of luck to you with your hatch!

I gave them 12 hours fat side up! Hopefully goes better than the last set...

Hey all! Im glad to see everyone has been having good luck so far
1f60a.png
. My hatch is on Thursday! Out of the 6 eggs that I started with I only have to get rid of one due to it being infertile. I have 5 eggs now with very good growth. Today is day 18 and I just went into lockdown. However I heard chirping and lo and behold I have an internal pip! I've never had that happen before on day 18! I guess I'll have to see what happens :)

Day 19 is about to start for me in 1 hour! This is my first time ever having successfully incubated until lockdown so I'm super nervous!

I have my first welsh harlequin eggs in now! On day 10 and they all have veining and movement.
Love the light colored shells on their eggs, you can see them growing so well.
The kids are having a blast with it.

I drove 4 hrs to see UGLYFOOT. She gave me... bottom row, barnyard mix...
upper left 4 with red lines Ayam Cemani, Blue eggs are legbars, small tan are serama eggs. She got 13 grey eggers or as we call them... "Greyslyn" and 5 LO mixes...

We've had them hatching for the last hour now. 10 are out and 3 more almost out. Looks like I'm not getting a lot of sleep tonight.

These quail are so tiny but their legs are surprisingly strong. Some of them have popped out incredibly quickly. I woke my 17 year old daughter up at 12:15 to see them pip and again at 4:15 to see them hatch. I figure it's worth her being tired at school today to see this.

I gave them 12 hours fat side up! Hopefully goes better than the last set...
That should be just fine!

Day 19 is about to start for me in 1 hour! This is my first time ever having successfully incubated until lockdown so I'm super nervous!
Congrats!!! Now get your sleep because you are going to be up for a very long time!

I drove 4 hrs to see UGLYFOOT. She gave me... bottom row, barnyard mix...
upper left 4 with red lines Ayam Cemani, Blue eggs are legbars, small tan are serama eggs. She got 13 grey eggers or as we call them... "Greyslyn" and 5 LO mixes...
Those are beautiful eggs...Well worth a 4 hour drive. I bring back eggs 1400 miles sometimes from my favorite silkie breeder.

I did my incubator check yesterday and candled. I am on day 10 tonight. There were some that I thought were not developing but have really clear veining now. I was fighting some low temps though...-25 one day and my incubator was telling me it that the room was too cold. So, up went the thermostat 10 more degrees.

I need to set some more today so, I may toss the clears too. I brought home 12 speckled sussex from my sisters farm a couple states away. Nice dual purpose bird. Well, the flock needs fed so gotta run. Happy hatching to you all!

Fertility wasn't as good as I has hoped for but still have quite a few to put into lockdown Friday. 25 of 46. Not my best fertility rate but some of the hens had just started laying again so that might have had something to do with it.

What a way to wake up this morning!!! So far only 1 out of 12 eggs. This is our first time and 3 of these I am really hopeful for!!! 7 more under a mama in the coop!!

Back
Top Bottom