Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
I'm getting some turkey eggs this weekend and will be setting them for the first time. I've hatched out a few chickens in the past but this will be my first try with turkeys. Wish me luck. I'm hoping to raise them for the holidays.

I hate to have to point this out, but they won't have much meat on them by Easter ;)

I hatched out some turkeys last year with the intention to butcher them in the fall. They all turned into pets except the tom who turned out mean. I have 3 hens now and they are just starting to lay. Turkey eggs make the BEST omelets and scrambled eggs. I will probably let the hens hatch out some chicken or duck eggs when they go broody.

Well it has been an exciting day! We have 6 new babies. All are under our Mama Blur. She is so happy and wouldn't even get up to eat today. 9 eggs still waiting, one has a pip hole. More waiting!!!

Well it has been an exciting day! We have 6 new babies. All are under our Mama Blur. She is so happy and wouldn't even get up to eat today. 9 eggs still waiting, one has a pip hole. More waiting!!!
Yay!
jumpy.gif

Day 11 update:

Out of 19 chocolate orpington eggs set (that traveled usps from California to Arkansas):

8 appear clear
6 have huge misshapen air cells. (I understand the term saddle-shaped very well now)
5 look great.

Weighed them all as well, and weight loss is right where it should be.

This is my 3rd time hatching, and my first time for shipped eggs. I knew it was risky getting shipped eggs.

Right now I am expecting that none of the clear eggs will hatch. I am also expecting at least 4 of the good ones will hatch.

As for the saddle shaped ones, I have no idea. Anyone here had experience in hatching shipped eggs that could give me an idea (roughly) of the odds of those eggs hatching?

Back
Top Bottom