Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Only day 5 here, but I grabbed 3 eggs to check air cells. All three look great.

One is a developing double yolker! I'll let it go as far as nature decides it can.

How do you guys tell if they're double yolkers when you candle them? I have a few large eggs, but I'm not sure if they are single or double.

So I've hatched 40 out of 71 quail eggs at day 18. 35 hatched by day 17 and I've had a few stragglers. I helped 2 out of their eggs; both were poorly positioned and both were helped slightly but still had to fight their way out of the shell so that their hearts and legs developed. I can't find them in the 40 that hatched, so that's good.

I did find one under the feeder today at 4:30. I can't believe it got under there. It looked crushed and dead, but it was still breathing when I picked it up, so I put it in a small nail box under the heat lamp and gave it first some water then some watery food with a 3mL syringe. It's tired, but I've put it back with the flock and it's moved around a lot, so I'm hopeful.

I really thought chickens were dumb. I'm going to apologize to mine tomorrow. The quail chicks are so ****** cute, though.

So far 9 have hatched. All moved to my Mama Chicken, and she us handling it with grace and love. This is amazing!!!

Back
Top Bottom