Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
It was 21 days ago today that I put my 19 chocolate orpington eggs in the incubator. On my previous 2 hatches (1 RIR, 1 duck), I had activity well before the hatch date (the RiR's started pipping on day 17).

So, I was starting to think I had horrible luck with these shipped eggs. But I was taking it in stride. This is my first time dealing with shipped eggs and it was a learning experience.

But just checked and I have a crack on one egg where the chick is trying to pip, and I can hear peeps coming form the incubator.

I know 8 of the eggs appear clear, so not expecting anything there, but looks like this hatch won't be a total bust after all (hopefully).

Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I'll have chick pics to post later tonite or first thing in the morning.
caf.gif
Standing by! Love chocolate orps...or any orps!

Are those lines where you are now? If so, they are a very small area for the chick to pip into. How are you measuring your humidity? Did you calibrate your hygrometer? We all have ruined hatches in some way or killed baby chicks along the way. Hatching is more of a skill than I could have imagined and an addiction-lol So, please don't beat yourself up too bad on this if it doesn't turn out okay. I am hoping for you that it will. I don't know how to advise you on this. I would probably try and keep the humidity on the lower threshold of the hatching spectrum and candle tomorrow. Is there a way you can candle them or see in them at lockdown to monitor their air cells? I know sometimes if you have a bright light and light eggs you can actually see the air outline without opening the bator. Hey Herbgirl- How's the hatching going? These are your own EE's, right?
Second hatch coming up for this year looks good, most are presold again yay. Will have a lab orp roo in place next week in with lavender orp hen blue am. Hen and golden comets. Weird mix, but the ops will be true which is the goal.

When a chick pips a hole, the egg is still full of yolk!!!!!!!!!!!!!, It is best to leave them in bator 24 hrs before helping, and not hold a pipping chick. Just say'n.

Back
Top Bottom