Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Are those lines where you are now? If so, they are a very small area for the chick to pip into. How are you measuring your humidity? Did you calibrate your hygrometer? We all have ruined hatches in some way or killed baby chicks along the way. Hatching is more of a skill than I could have imagined and an addiction-lol So, please don't beat yourself up too bad on this if it doesn't turn out okay. I am hoping for you that it will. I don't know how to advise you on this. I would probably try and keep the humidity on the lower threshold of the hatching spectrum and candle tomorrow. Is there a way you can candle them or see in them at lockdown to monitor their air cells? I know sometimes if you have a bright light and light eggs you can actually see the air outline without opening the bator. I did not calibrate the hygrometer and I should have. It's definitely a skill. One that I'm not too good at yet. Ugh I'm just hoping if I let them run dry a few days the air cell will at least have a little time to get bigger. I will definitely check them tomorrow to see if the cell has grown at all. I'll try to take a picture too because I think they may be a little delayed in development as well so hopefully they will have a few more days for the air cell to grow. I'm wondering if I should put them in egg cartons fat end up so maybe when they pip, the extra fluid won't get into the air cell. I read about that somewhere on here. I love candling them and seeing them grow and will feel terrible if I get them this far just to die. Ugh so many highs and lows in this process! Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated! Hey Herbgirl- How's the hatching going? These are your own EE's, right?

Mille Fluer buff brahma cross

I decided to candle a few this afternoon. Any thoughts on delayed development or do they look right for day seventeen? I'm hoping they are delayed a bit so they will have extra time to lose moisture. The pictures aren't the best.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Just pulled 3 quitters while doing a full candle. Day 16. One was definitely bacterial. The other 2, IDK. All of them were on the back side of the bator, so shifted everyone forward... So, 8 left due March 20 and 3 due March 16.

My little Serama eggs are due to start hatching tomorrow. Looks like a few have internally pipped. The aircells are huge, I must remember to up the humidity next time. I have a tough time with these little eggs.

Mille Fluer buff brahma cross
It's such a cutie!!!
love.gif

I decided to candle a few this afternoon. Any thoughts on delayed development or do they look right for day seventeen? I'm hoping they are delayed a bit so they will have extra time to lose moisture. The pictures aren't the best.
[/URL]
The air cells do look small, but development looks right to me.

Woke up to 6 chicks in the bator this morning. Already way better than I expected. Hopefully I'll get a few more today and tomorrow.

The downside of handling trays of 50 eggs is if you drop it, even a little bit, you can break a lot of eggs. I just broke 4 fertile eggs...;-[

I did my Day 10 candling yesterday. Current fertility rate is 79.17%, slightly higher than the final fertility rate for my last hatch. Unfortunately, all of my turkey eggs appear infertile, but I've left them in just in case. 5 early deaths leaves me with 67 (plus the 5 turkey eggs) going forward.

Back
Top Bottom