Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
I'd like to see pictures of these "shrink wrapped" chicks, and I'd like to see what position they were in, because it's quite possible that they were malpositioned in some subtle way.

-Kathy

I hope, Casportpony, you don't mind me pointing out you quoted my message and then said nothing to do with it. The message you quoted said nothing about "shrink wrapped" chicks. But that does let you say stuff that is meaningless...

I'd like to see pictures of these "shrink wrapped" chicks, and I'd like to see what position they were in, because it's quite possible that they were malpositioned in some subtle way.

-Kathy

I hope, Casportpony, you don't mind me pointing out you quoted my message and then said nothing to do with it. The message you quoted said nothing about "shrink wrapped" chicks. But that does let you say stuff that is meaningless...

What?

-Kathy

Everybody is dead. i just opened two of the pipped. Dry inside eggsack gone but dead with their beaks stuck thru crack and membrane otherwise membrane not shrinkwrapped just tough. I am ready to cry.
I am sorry Sharon for your loss. I thought you would have some chickens. Are these your own eggs? Do you have any idea where the hatch may have went wrong?
hugs.gif

Thank you! She is definitely doing much better. Finally getting back to her smiley self! I was sad to lose him but I tried not to get my hopes up too much because I knew it was a definite possibility. But yes, quite a learning experience! I can't wait for the next hatch! I want Cochins but I can't find any local and I'm pretty nervous about buying shipped eggs. I guess it's worth a shot.
Glad she is progressing in her healing! There are cochins on here all the time for auction. Check out the auction section of the website and PM a member who sells. I have never had any issues with BYC members.
jumpy.gif

I am sorry I have not been around much. I was out of state for the weekend and my sisters house is thick stone with terrible wi-fi. I had two Honas and one flowers chick surprise me when I got home. Staggered hatch chicks that got put in the wrong tray...

I put some eggs in lockdown. I have 13 due Thursday and a crew due Saturday too. Humidity I keep at 51% for hatch and turn the cooling cycle off and remove them from the turners. I kinda screwed up the staggered hatch because I set them too close. Problem with waiting for shipped eggs and timing their arrival.

I am sorry Sharon for your loss. I thought you would have some chickens. Are these your own eggs? Do you have any idea where the hatch may have went wrong?
hugs.gif

These eggs were shipped to me from GA they were gathered the day they were shipped and sat on my counter 30 hours before going into the incubator. Since they were all fully developed I have to assume they died about day20/21, I just don't know what happened. Maybe they didn't get enough air or not enough moisture.
Thanks everyone for your help. I will be trying again. Maybe third time will be the charm and I will hatch some babies.

These eggs were shipped to me from GA they were gathered the day they were shipped and sat on my counter 30 hours before going into the incubator. Since they were all fully developed I have to assume they died about day20/21, I just don't know what happened. Maybe they didn't get enough air or not enough moisture.
Thanks everyone for your help. I will be trying again. Maybe third time will be the charm and I will hatch some babies.
Sorry this didn't work for you this time...

What kind of an incubator set up are you using? Sometimes, it is a matter of learning the in's and outs of your specific incubator for your climate. Double check that the temps are correct and the humidity can be read accurate. It may be something as simple as a bad thermometer that is throwing off your hatch. There are plugs that need to come out in some incubators at hatch for air.

I am on my third incubator. I started with a hovabator, then went to a brinsea mini then to a cabinet. Hovabator was difficult because I was hatching in an old drafty farmhouse with a pellet stove and a wood stove. Major issues with keeping it stable and humid. I found humidity to be my worst issue. I tried dry hatching...I tried hatching at the humidity my breeders were suggesting...I tried at the levels other BYC members were at...difficult. My hatches went from 5% to maybe 80% with a lot of trial and error. Of course, I can't be sure my child and dogs weren't bumping into it too!

Mini was great...much more foolproof than the styrobator. I did control for the drafts and moved it into a area that was dark and not near windows. (The cabinet is completely foolproof- except when my boyfriend is on watch and crimps down the humidity pump tubes in the door...he means well!)

Back
Top Bottom