Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
I have a question. I have 14 eggs in the bator but I'd like to put a couple under my silkie who has been broody for quite a while but I have no fertile chicken eggs for her. How many could she sit on? They are due to hatch on the 25th so I still have a bit of time to work through it all. I thought MAYBE three but most likely two. I also wondered if it would be best to keep the turkey eggs in the bator until they are closer to time to hatch to ensure viability or not. I plan to move my silkie into a brooding area tomorrow to give her time to adjust to her new surroundings and perhaps put nonfertile eggs under her just to keep her broody until I know that she is settled. No sense in wasting eggs.
wink.png

So, how many eggs would you give her of turkey eggs?

Another question would it be wise to try to give more poults as they hatch?

I have a question. I have 14 eggs in the bator but I'd like to put a couple under my silkie who has been broody for quite a while but I have no fertile chicken eggs for her. How many could she sit on? They are due to hatch on the 25th so I still have a bit of time to work through it all. I thought MAYBE three but most likely two. I also wondered if it would be best to keep the turkey eggs in the bator until they are closer to time to hatch to ensure viability or not. I plan to move my silkie into a brooding area tomorrow to give her time to adjust to her new surroundings and perhaps put nonfertile eggs under her just to keep her broody until I know that she is settled. No sense in wasting eggs.
wink.png

So, how many eggs would you give her of turkey eggs?

Another question would it be wise to try to give more poults as they hatch?
How big is she? My 1kg bantam cochins can cover 3 or 4 peafowl eggs. You might find some useful info here:
http://www.leggspeafowl.com/incub.htm

-Kathy

She is about the size of a cochin and has a high opinion of her abilities since she routinely tries to cover about 10-15 chicken eggs!! Unsuccessfully, obviously. I just wanted to let her finally be a mother since I have turkeys hatching out but didn't want to overreach on her behalf.

Wanting to join a hatch a long.am I too late for this one? Just got my incubator today. I have it set up and ready to go. I have been collecting eggs since last week. My turner only takes 16 so I picked out the cleanest freshest ones. I am planning on starting tonight. It is my first time. These are just barnyard mix. I wanted to start with inexpensive eggs. I just got my rooster a month ago but he has worn the feathers off two girls heads so I know he is breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom