Late January Hatch?

How many did you originally set?  What incubator are you using?  What were your settings?  Did you keep a record of temps and humidity every day?  If you put that information on here then maybe someone could give you some pointers and you could try again?  March is so far away and it only takes 21 days to hatch your own chicks.  

Did you get your eggs locally?  I did NOT go about it the right way and ordered 12 silkie eggs online.  I paid like $35 for these eggs.  I have gotten lucky so far that they seem to be doing well (as of day 14) but I still have a ways to go.  What did your eggs look like at days 14?  Were they good then.  Everything I have read says that the whole thing is an learning experience.  Hopefully you can learn on here and know what you can do different the next time.  Sorry you aren't having a good incubation.  :hit  

I used a brinsea mini advanced with the factory settings. When I ran it for the day before I set my eggs it's temp was accurate. I don't have a good way of keeping the humidity up.
All but 2 eggs were good at day 7. I didn't wind up checking again until day 18 and I only have one egg remaining viable. I left the eggs alone as much as possible.

Just did my first candling. Day 10/11

Not sure I was super accurate since I think my flashlight was a little on the weak side, but 9 out of 38 clearly had no activity, or stalled very early.

8 of that 9 were the Corn-Rocks. Only 14 of the 38 were Corn-Rocks... so those Roo's aren't getting it done it would seem. Bummer, I was excited about that experiment.

The good news is only 1 of the 24 NH-Rocks are pig food, so far. I feared worse as the weather has been swinging heavily and we heat with wood, maintaining temp in the 'bator has been hell.

Entered lockdown today, only had to remove two more eggs with my new flashlight. One of each cross.

Used a new flashlight, grabbed a 700 lumen LED off Amazon last week for a few bucks. Made a world of difference.

What calculating hatch rate, do people generally consider what they set or eggs viable after a certain day?

OK here is the formula to use to calculate hatch rate and fertility rate: #hatched / #set = % hatch #hatch / #fertile = % Hatch of Fertile. But when calculating you would cancel out the ones that were clear or not fertile. You do count any that actually started to develop (i.e. blood rings, etc.) I started with 24 had 2 clears = 22. So far I have had to cull 3 blood rings and 1 quitter. If all of my chicks hatch (it would be great if they did, but I am not holding my breath) then my hatch rate would be 18/22=82% That would be a pretty darn good percentage considering this is my first time hatching eggs, I have the Little Giant (which doesn't have a reputation of being a super easy incubator to hatch in) and 12 of my eggs were shipped eggs. If I get above 75% I will be happy with it.

I am on day 17 for my serama eggs and I can't seem to get the humidity up high enough. Any suggestions?? Below is what I have set up and the humidity is still at 40%, would adding sponges help at all? I am obviously running out of space to add another water pan.

the black tray holds the water and is .75" deep. I was planning to add sponges to keep them from drowning once they hatch but now I am concerned that they may not hatch at all. 5 of the 6 looked good when I candled yesterday.

I'm on day 18, going to candle one last time to measure air cells and lock down tonight. I think I have 2, possibly 3 quilters in the lot but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Very disappointed about the 4 Olive Eggers I ordered, they didn't develope at all.

I'm on day 18, going to candle one last time to measure air cells and lock down tonight. I think I have 2, possibly 3 quilters in the lot but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Very disappointed about the 4 Olive Eggers I ordered, they didn't develope at all.

It's day 18 for me as well!:woot
No movement in 3 of them, I'm hoping they're just too stuffed in there.:fl We shall see!
Good luck Plucky Clucks!

It's day 18 for me as well!:woot
No movement in 3 of them, I'm hoping they're just too stuffed in there.:fl We shall see!
Good luck Plucky Clucks!

Just did water and light candling, turns out I had 4 early quilters in the batch. Really bummed about that but they were eBay eggs so I should be happy for any viable! 7 are looking good although 3 of them sunk to the bottom of the glass and I though they were dead as well but I let them settle and still at the bottom and all three wobbled very vigorously. Hoping for 7 healthy chicks! Good luck with your luck down too melnjerm!

I put yesterday 27 eggs on my farm innovators 4250 , y try once before and never work :(
I will try once more , :DI got some eggs from a brabante hens that I'm so happy to see what happen :D

Back
Top Bottom