Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

First question I have is that I would LOVE to get lavenders!!!! Oh they are beautiful!!!!!
I live in Bancroft NE I would love day old chicks but will try to hatch eggs if I need to for these beauties!!
Second question I bought 4 ameraucanas but I think they are Easter eggers? not that I would love them any less! If I post pictures here can you guys tell me if I'm right?

First question I have is that I would LOVE to get lavenders!!!! Oh they are beautiful!!!!!
I live in Bancroft NE I would love day old chicks but will try to hatch eggs if I need to for these beauties!!
Second question I bought 4 ameraucanas but I think they are Easter eggers? not that I would love them any less! If I post pictures here can you guys tell me if I'm right?

You're probably a little late to get on the wait list for the main Lavender breeders that sell chicks. But you can find breeders on one of the Ameraucana clubs' directories. There's also hatching eggs on the buy-sell-trade section.
Not to be rude, but if you think you have Easter Eggers, you probably do. ;) They're pretty easy to ID, and you can ask here, but better option would be the main Ameraucana thread, or the Easter Egger thread...

Post pics here.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-discussing-our-birds/26580#post_14881543

Quote:
Better to go to the EE thread. The Am thread gets overwhelmed with those kind of posts and they can get a little snarky. I quit following the thread because of it. Seems like a fight breaks out a few times a week when they are told they have EE.

Last edited:
Better to go to the EE thread.  The Am thread gets overwhelmed with those kind of posts and they can get a little snarky.  I quit following the thread because of it.  Seems like a fight breaks out a few times a week when they are told they have EE.

Good point! I've learned to ignore the snarkiness, especially since it's impossible to know someone's true tone through text, but I know plenty of people still get upset by it. And you are right, some of them seem to have an attitude of "when will people learn??", but the truth is, it's not the same person asking the question every time. Just because they tell 100 people doesn't mean *everyone* knows... I'll refer people to the EE page now though, just in case... :)

Genes come in pairs. When both copies of a gene are the same, that is called homozygous. So if the bird has two copies of the black gene, it is homozygous for black. If it has two copies of the lavender gene, it is homozygous for lavender. But if it has one copy of each, so one copy of black and one copy of lavender, the dominant one shows up (the black) and the recessive one (the lavender) stays hidden. It's there, but it doesn't show. Then it is called being split to lavender. They might say black split to lavender. The also might just call it a split or a lavender split. The big fancy word for having one gene black and one gene lavender is "heterozygous".

(I'm sorry I couldn't avoid using the big words. But if you just remember "homo" means the same, and "hetero" means different, then the big words suddenly become easier.
smile.png
)

ETA: oops, three more posts came in while I was writing this, so I'm sorry if it was unnecessary. ;)
Thank you Finnie! That actually helped. I grew up around my aunt breeding horses and have a few of my own, so Homozygous and Heterozygous helped it click (at least in my head) a bit better.

So Lavender will always be covered by black? There could never be a Lavender colored heterozygous bird? Am I following?

Thanks everyone for the info.

Back
Top Bottom