Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thank you for some reason the pictures of my hens didn't load. So here are a couple. Are these ee's also?
Brown hen

Speckled Hen

Is it ok to breed lavender to lavender or is it generally best to breed lavender to black split? I was told something about feather structure that it's not good to breed just lavenders. I'm along all you experts before I go for may all lavenders lol.

I've very thrilled with my flock this year since I didn't know for sure if any of them carried the lavender gene. Each week, it seems that one or two little lavenders pop out of the eggs. I know I have at least 8, maybe 10 now that I'm growing out to replace my black girls. I only have room to keep 3 or 4 but I'll be picking the best of them. One chick has the poofiest cheeks I've ever seen! Seriously hoping that one's a pullet lol.

Great to see this thread! I am a BRAND new breeder but sucking up all the knowledge I can. I am a member of the ABC as well. I have nothing against the ABC forum, I simply find this one easier to navigate and communicate on.

I have my first 5 Lavender Ameraucanas. They are 6 weeks old today.

I'm wondering if fertility issues are common with lavenders. I started with 30 eggs, not shipped, so that can't be an excuse. They were fresh and handled properly. The breeder told me she was having fertility issues with one of her cocks so she added a second and believed she had solved things. However, out of those 30 eggs, less than half even made it to lockdown. 7 hatched - 2 with help. I had to cull two chicks with crossbeak. So I'm left with 5. Thankfully, I have a very nice black cockerel from Jean Ribbeck (and I have black hens) so I will immediately cross out with those but I'm wondering if fertility/hatchability is an issue with lavenders. I also have lavender Silkies. Had to cull one of those with crossbeak as well.

I'm having no issues whatsoever with fertility... never have with my Am's at all... this year I am even using an older cock, and he's doing his job well, lol...

Try trimming the vent feathers to see if that helps . Some lines are fluffier than others . Not a common problem but it happens . Here is a quick way to tell how fluffy your birds are . You should be able to see the drumstick . If you see mostly the scaled portion of the leg then they are fluffy . Trim both sexes .

Soooooo cool! So I have 3 lavender hens and 2 went broody and the other hen is raising the hatched lavender babies. I have a big coop with about 8 little chicks running around in mixed with other big chickens and they lane the babies alone. The minute I put a baby lav chick that was from my incubator in the coop the lavender hen rushes it and pecks it.

Back
Top Bottom