Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

But you do or at least have paid dues to a breed club, so I don't understand expecting something for free that others pay for.
If you are one that believes I should make all my personal club bulletins/newsletters available online for free, someday you may be in luck.  It is an idea I've had for several years, but so far other things in life have always been more important.  If and when I do I'll be sharing (free) what I paid annual club dues for, for the past 35 years.

Oh, sorry... guess I mistook you for someone else... my apologies...

I certainly did not mean to stir up trouble. I was just excited when I found out that the chicks I got, at some point in time, originated from John's line. I didn't even know any of the history of who started what breeds, so that was the furthest thing from my mind, honestly.

I still have not gotten an answer about how many generations Sutton Farms has been breeding them though. I'm just interested in knowing as I'm a nerd like that and love to learn all I can about all of my animals' histories.

I certainly did not mean to stir up trouble. I was just excited when I found out that the chicks I got, at some point in time, originated from John's line. I didn't even know any of the history of who started what breeds, so that was the furthest thing from my mind, honestly.

I still have not gotten an answer about how many generations Sutton Farms has been breeding them though. I'm just interested in knowing as I'm a nerd like that and love to learn all I can about all of my animals' histories.
You're not stirring it up, or should I say "no stirring needed".
wink.png

I looked back over orders from the last few years and didn't see the name Sutton, but some folks buy from others that bought from me and so on.

I have an odd chick I'd like to ask about. It has chipmunk stripes and isn't dark on the beak and feets like the others. Does this mean it carries silver?
Compare it to my "lavender silver" Ameraucana chicks. They are based on wildtype (e+), like the silver variety, but are also pure for lavender (lav) which dilutes black to lavender and salmon to a pinkish/isabella color.

I have an odd chick I'd like to ask about. It has chipmunk stripes and isn't dark on the beak and feets like the others. Does this mean it carries silver?
Hi there, No, the beak and shank color is not an indication of whether it is carrying gold or silver. The proposed standard indicates that horn or black is acceptable for beak color, although most breeders prefer black (myself included). It may darken some over time. Self blues/lavenders should be based on E (extended black). The shanks will continue to darken over the next few days. One breeder hypothesized that lighter shanks at hatch may be indicative of males and darker shanks at hatch may be indicative of females. I am testing that theory now (for fun). Generally speaking, I try to look for chick uniformity in day olds. I have not seen any chipmunk stripes that I can remember in day olds thus far....I'm trying to think back! I can't see your photos well from my cell phone, but the one on the right looks fairly typical for a day old self blue/lavender chick. I would shoot for that phenotype (IMO). Good luck! :) Here is a link to the proposed standard: http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/self-blue sop.html

Last edited:

These are my most recent photos of my lavender. Is it still too soon to tell if it's a pullet or a rooster? It's the bravest of the little chick crew and tends to come "check out" anyone who walks into their outdoor pen.

These are my most recent photos of my lavender. Is it still too soon to tell if it's a pullet or a rooster? It's the bravest of the little chick crew and tends to come "check out" anyone who walks into their outdoor pen.

It's still a little early to tell, but that comb does look rather pronounced for this age. :)

Watch for saddle feathers on males, thicker legs, combs that become red faster, etc.

Back
Top Bottom